Chapter 10

Everly

Atticuss house was small, but had everything someone would need to make a home in a toadstool. There was a small kitchen with a red and white speckled pattern on the bench, a living room and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. There was also a little reading nook with several genres of books from multiple authors.

As it turns out, not only had Kairi lost his shoe to a giant mud puddle, but he has also twisted his ankle. Which means the three of us wouldnt be able to move along with our journey for a day or two. Which therefore means, staying in Atticuss house throughout that time.

When Atticus came back down the stairs, he found me curled up with a book by the empty fireplace. The redhead kneeled down and filled the fireplace with a stack of wood, lighting it with a flaming frog that he keeps in a jar on a shelf. Flaming frogs were known to cough out small flames if you were to squeeze them hard enough.

His knees cracked as Atticus stood back up and sat down beside me. What book are you reading? He asked me.

I leaned the book to me in such a way so that I would be able to see the title on the front cover. Just The History of Fantalia, I simply responded, going back to reading the book.

§§§

The sky was getting darker, and Atticus had lit up all the lights in the house with the flaming frog, which I had come to learn was named Bubbles. The little frog was a blueish-green colour with red and orange spots on his back, as if he were sprayed with a bucket of paint. For some reason, Bubbles kept eyeing me from inside his jar, expecting me to free him so he can wreak havoc through the forest. But no matter how cute he may seem; I reluctantly didnt give in to his malicious needs.

Kairi had made his way down the stairs, in a white tunic and grey pants. His hair was still damp from the shower he had, and he smelled heavily of river flowers and pinecones. Clearly Atticus has a unique taste in soap scents.

I hear that the evil mud puddle did a number on your ankle, I joked as the Chameleon slumped down in the couch beside me. He just shoved me in the arm and chuckled.

Dont mock me, he complained, turning to the smell of beef ribs coming from the kitchen. Out of curiosity, Kairi and I stood up and made our way to the little kitchen.

In the middle of the kitchen was a small, round dining table with a red and white speckled pattern on the tabletop to match the bench. The chairs had little green cushions with leafy embroidery on them. In the centre of the table was a vase with a bouquet of pink and blue lilies.

Over at the stovetop was Atticus in an apron and holding a hot tray with beef ribs heavily marinated in a smokey barbecue sauce. There were flecks of different herbs and cheeses garnishing the food. I hope neither of you are allergic to cheese or is a vegetarian. Atticus stated, placing the tray on the bench to dish up dinner.

He pulled out a trio of fancy plates with patterns of little mushrooms and flowers on the rim. Atticus split the ribs into three and placed them on the plates in such a way that he would be considered a gourmet chef.

Kairi and I took our seats as Atticus served our dinner. The plates were set in front of us as were our cutlery and a napkin stack. Atticus took his seat and grabbed his knife and fork, digging into his meal. Kairi did the same. The metal was cold in my hands and the blade of the knife was deathly sharp.

Everything alright? Atticus asked, halfway through cutting his next bite. You havent touched your food.

My mind flew back into the room, and I jumped at his voice. What?

Your food, Atticus clarified. You havent touched it.

I looked down at my plate and fork. He was right, I hadnt touched my plate. Oh, I remarked. I didnt notice I hadnt eaten.

Its okay, Atticus assured me. I understand what its like to feel homesick. Start eating when youre ready.

It was then, and only then that I felt that my feelings were accounted for. Atticus made me feel that way. Thank you. My knife cut into the juicy meat, and I enjoyed every bite.