Chapter 14

Everly

It was early in the morning when I woke to someones quick breaths. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up in the bed and looked around the room. It took me a while to fully realise where I was, in the guest room of Atticuss house. I looked over to my right and saw the empty sleeping bag discarded on the floor. The room was still relatively dark, but bright enough for me to see that Atticus had moved through the night.

Over in the corner, where the vicious panting came from, was Atticus. From here it was clear to see that he was having some sort of a panic attack, his knees were pulled up to his chest and he was rocking himself back and forth.

Concerned for my friend, I leapt off the bed and crouched next to the hyperventilating boy. His hair was drenched in sweat and his eyes were red and puffy. Not knowing what to do, I just wrapped my arms and wings around him, shielding him from his fears. At my touch he seemed to calm down slightly, leaning in closer to my wings.

We both just sat like this for a while, moulded together; my wings and arms protecting his shivering soul, like a guardian angel. It wasnt long before I heard Atticuss breaths slow down and fall into a deep sleep. Smiling, I closed my eyes, not wanting to leave my current position and falling to sleep myself.

§§§

The birds were happily chirping when I woke up again, singing their lovely little songs in tune with each other. Looking to the side, I saw a wide-awake Fox boy with a slight dusting of pink on his freckled cheeks. There was a faint outline of deep purple under his bloodshot eyes. He was gazing at my wings, running a soft hand over the feathers in amazement, I guess he hasnt actually met an Owling before.

Good morning, I yawned, making the boy in my arms jump.

His tired eyes looked into mine, filled with shame. Morning, he began. Im sorry that I woke you last night. I hope that youre not mad. His green eyes began to tear up as he spoke. Why is he so precious? I thought to myself.

At the sight of his fresh tears, I was quick to cup his face with one hand, the other on his shoulder. No, no its okay, I soothed him as he sobbed. We all have rough times, but I promise that its okay.

He snivelled and rubbed his eyes and pinkish nose. Are you sure?

Positive. I pulled Atticus into a much-needed hug, letting him cry on my shoulder, pulling my arms tight around him.

When he had calmed down, we both stood up and walked down to the kitchen, stretching as we went. Kairi was already at the stovetops, flipping pancakes. Atticus and I pulled out the chairs to the table and sat down, starving for breakfast.

Good morning, you two, Kairi happily greeted, slightly dancing as he made breakfast. I hope you both slept well.

Atticus and I exchanged looks, telepathically deciding if we should tell Kairi about last night. He subtly shook his head, signalling that he doesnt want anyone else know. I turned back to Kairi, although his back was turned to me. We slept well enough, I replied.

Kairi turned around, holding a plate stacked with pancakes. He placed the stack in the centre of the table, next to the syrups, jams, butter and cutlery. Well I should hope so, he stated, taking a seat for himself. Going by what I saw last night when I was trying to find the bathroom.

At his comment Atticus and I turned bright red. Kairi chuckled as he took a couple of pancakes for himself. You saw? Atticus worriedly asked, taking breakfast for himself, and passing me the pancake stack when he was done.

Yep, Kairi nodded, smirking while doing so. I tried to find the bathroom and ended up walking in on your cuddle session. In all honesty, you both did look comfortable, but youve literally known each other for not even a day.

It wasnt what it looked like; I swear. I could tell that I was blushing like crazy, and Atticus was the same. I was just helping Atticus calm down.

Yeah, Atticus agreed with me, shovelling pancakes into his mouth.

Kairi eyed the both of us suspiciously, as if deducting who started a fire in the woods. If you say so, I wont press for details. He began eating his own breakfast in peace.