Chapter 8

Elix

Nervously, I made my way to the throne room, fidgeting with my tunic between my fingers. This is it, I thought. This is where I meet my future wife.

Father had willingly agreed to my suggestion to an arranged marriage. His excuse was that my wife and I could provide heirs that could take the throne no matter who became king or queen; Everly or me. To be honest, I think Father was happy that at least one of his children would produce heirs to continue the family line.

Once I was at the large stone doors and they had opened, my blood ran cold. The immediate realisation of what was happening had finally caught up with my racing thoughts. I am to be married to someone I barely and Im supposed to get her pregnant. That will definitely be awkward when the time comes.

As per usual, Father sits in his eccentric chair, the gleaming black crown resting on his brow. Standing by the floor-to-roof window is a dark man who seems older than Father and a young lady with black and blue hair.

The pair turn to me as I enter the room and they immediately bowed as a sign of respect. I give a slight bow in return, my black wings pressing themselves tightly against my back.

The young lady has long black braids that have been half done into a bun, the rest of her hair flowing down her back, landing at her waist. She wears an azure blue gown that compliments her eyes. Greetings, Prince Elix. Her voice is sweet, and her teeth are perfectly straight. Everything about her is perfect, too perfect. Im Idyllia, your soon-to-be wife.

It was then that my heart sunk, Idyllia was so sweet, and I could tell that she uses it to mask her pain. It was clear that shes been hurt before. I hesitantly took her hand and pressed my lips to her knuckles, pushing down my feelings.

It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance, your grace.

§§§

Idyllia and I sat on my bed, a chess board between us. Idyllias hand moved swiftly across the board, moving her queen to blook my king in check. Checkmate, she gleefully announced, clearly proud of herself. I took another glance at the board, and it was true; she had my king cornered so that there was no possible way for me to escape.

Well done, I congratulated. We both shook hands and began packing up the board. As I was putting the game on one of my shelves, Idyllia was examining my collection of books and maps.

I see that youre interested in geography and humans, Elix, Idyllia piped up, her nose stuck in my Human-ology book.

I looked up to see her laying across my nest chair, her heels kicked off and thrown along the floor. Yeah. I stood up and looked over her shoulder at the book, admiring the intricate writing. You wouldnt expect that a prince would be into this sort of stuff, would you?

She chuckled, her laugh sounding like ringing bells echoing through my room. No, definitely not something I would expect. Idyllia rose from her seat to make eye contact with me. But I like the unexpected. I felt my cheeks go warm from her voice. I just have one question, your majesty.

And what would that be? I nervously asked.

Where is it that you think I hail from? What creature am I? She slowly stalked forward, her eyes maliciously gazing into mine. I staggered back as she kept moving forwards, like a predator hunting its kill. My back hit one of the many bookshelves within my chambers and Idyllias face was inches from my own. Ill give you a hint.

Her hand reached up to the side of my face and I regrettably flinched. Her hand never touched my face but grabbed one of my geography books from behind me. Idyllia opened the book to show a full map of a territory I have never visited but am quite familiar with. The Nymph Domain.

Youre a Nymph? I asked, taking the book into my own hands. The cover was made of a soft leather, embroidered in blur stitching. Youre one of the most powerful species of Fantalia?

Idyllia paused for a moment, gazing at the map spread across the page. She then lifted her head and stared into my eyes.

That I am, Prince Elix.