Chapter 27

Everly

Derek wasnt lying, different sized portals lined the floor, roof and walls of the cave. The portals gave the area a purple glow, making me see funny shapes in the air. Faint whispers could be heard throughout the chasm as the four of us made our way through.

Now remember, Derek spoke up from in front of us. Dont touch the portals. You can look at them but be very careful. If one of you is stupid enough to fall into one, Im not coming after you.

We all chuckled at Dereks warning. The Vampyre lead us down a path that was clear of portals. The mysterious whispers got louder around certain portals and quieter near others.

Hey, Derek, I called out to the Vampyre. Are you sure that these portals have some sort of hypnosis or is that just a story?

Derek raised his eyebrow and looked to a portal close to him. He kneeled down and waved his hand along the surface of the portal, causing it to ripple like a pond. It may have just been a story, Derek hummed. Good news guys, it looks like we dont have to be as careful. I say we fool around for a bit.

Kairi and I looked at each other and smirked, this was going to be fun.

§§§

Kairi and I ran around the cave, peering into the numerous portals that showed us all of the different places across Fantalia. I looked into a portal that showed me this night markets that we had just passed through. In the portal was Steves bounty stall, looking as smug as always. I looked behind him and saw a large stick on a shelf behind Steve. A truly mischievous idea flew into my head.

I slowly reached into the portal, feeling the cold liquid surround my hand. Out of shock, I pulled my arm back only to see that it was completely dry. I reached my hand back into the portal and grabbed the branch. Smirking to myself, I lifted the branch near Steve and swung my arm back. There was a loud thud when the tree limb came into contact with Steves body, and I dropped the branch in a cackling fit.

Atticus looked at me with concern painted on his face as I brought my arm out of the portal. The Fox boy walked over to me and peered into the portal I was mucking around with. He saw Steve crying like a baby, clutching his arm and screaming at the branch. Did you seriously attack Steve? He asked me, raising one of his eyebrows.

I put my hand to my chest in face shock, internally laughing my head off. How dare you accuse me of such actions, I retaliated in mock hurt. But yes, yes I did attack Steve.

I knew it. Atticus looked at the portal and ran his hand over it, causing ripples to coat the surface. When the portal cleared, it showed the same scene, just a few seconds before I attacked Steve. What the-?

It appeared like the portal had been skipped back a small bit to replay the scene. Weird. The two of us watched Steve get attacked by the branch, but my arm couldnt be seen.

When the scene was over, the two of us stood up and brushed the dirt off of our pants. Looking around, I couldnt see Kairi or Derek anywhere. Where could they have gone in such a short time?

Atticus, I spoke to break the unnerving silence. Where did Kairi and Derek go?

II dont know. Atticus sounded truly scared, or worried now that he realised that we were alone. What do we do now?

Out of instinct, I reached for the scared boys hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. He returned the gesture and with plenty of determination, we continue down the path, hoping to find our missing friends. Or are we the missing ones now?