Chapter 25

Everly

The four of us silently made our way out of our hiding place and slipped into the empty market streets. I could see Steve walking towards his stall a little further away from us, I never realised how small the market area is when there arent people bustling everywhere.

We were just about to head into the forest when we heard someone call out to us. Dont go in there, Steve called, walking closer to our group. That forest isnt safe.

We all turned around and looked at the black haired Vampyre stopped right in front of us. And whys that? Atticus asked, crossing his arms.

Well, Steve began. There are toxic bugs and thats the way to the abandoned docks.

We need to get to those docks. Steve turned to me at the sound of my voice.

Steve looked me up and down, specifically at my wings. Oh dear, he sighed. I wish that you hadnt gone out and dyed your pretty pretty wings. They could have been worth so much money.

Excuse me. I walked closer to the arrogant Vampyre and slapped him in the face. Dont talk to me about my wings like that ever again.

Alright, Steve shrugged his shoulders, turning around to walk away. Just giving you a quick way to make money.

The four of us watched as the Vampyre left us and made his way over to a security official at the other end of the market area. Steve whispered something in his ear and walked back to his stall with the most entitled smirk on his face.

The security official faced us and started to make his way over. It was clear that Steve had likely told the official a lie of some sort. Our little group started backing up in the direction of the forest. If we made into the cover of the trees, the official might not follow us for fear of what lurks in the trees.

The security official was making his way to us as we entered the edge of the forest. Branches snapped under our feet as we watched the official stop and take off his mask, glaring at us as we continued through the woods.

§§§

Different kinds of birds squawked at us as we walked past their trees and small critters scampered away. Little frogs hopped about on lily pads in the creek a few feet away from us. Several variants of poisonous mushrooms lined the forest floor, some glowing and others that smelled temptingly sweet.

The trees above our group cast dark shadows across the land, making the woods seem haunted. More glowing mushrooms appeared in the ground the deeper into the trees we went, and it slowly became darker. We all stopped when we saw a cave, in the middle of our path.

The cave was half sticking out of the dirt with vines hanging around the entrance, it was suspicious. Normally caves would be harder to see in a forest, or at least in a rockier area. Something inside me was saying that this wasnt right, in any way at all.

Well, Derek spoke up. There is no way I am going in there.

Whys that? Kairi asked. Isnt this the way that were supposed to go?

Yes, the Vampyre answered, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. But this is a portal cave.

A what? Derek turned to me at the sound of my confusion.

You really dont get out much, do you princess. But a portal cave is dangerous. If we were to go inside this one, there would be portals everywhere, literally all over the place.

Is that a bad thing? Atticus spoke up from beside me. As long as we avoid the portals we should be just fine.

We wouldnt be fine, thats the problem. Derek pressed his fingers to the bridge of his nose. The portals lead to anywhere in any time period. If one of us fell in, then they would end up possibly on the other side of Fantalia or three centuries in the past. Also, the portals are rumoured to have some sort of hypnosis enchantment in them, so avoiding them would be a hefty task alone.

Atticus, Kairi, and I all locked eyes, as if to soak in all of the information Derek gave us. So what Im hearing is that well avoid the cave? I queried.

Derek shook his head slowly, as if to console a child that did something wrong. No, he replied. Were going in there, but we have to be extremely careful.

We nodded in replied and made our way into the mouth of the cave, hoping to stick together. This was not going to be easy.