Chapter 12

Everly

The ribs that Atticus had made were absolutely delicious, but his wild berry tarts were like nothing like Ive ever tasted before. And I could tell Kairi felt the same, definitely going by the look on his face when he finished his second tart. Afterwards, the three of us just sat on the couch, letting our food digest.

That was the most divine meal I have ever had in my entire life, Kairi stated, patting his stomach in delight.

Amen to that, I replied.

So I take it that you guys enjoyed my cooking, Atticus pointed out.

Kairi and I both nodded enthusiastically, our hair bobbing up and down with our movements. Atticus laughed at our motions and ruffled his ginger hair. Well thats always a good sign. Glad to know Im good at what I do.

Definitely. I playfully punched the redhead in the shoulder. Your cooking is like therapy, except cheaper.

Kairi laughed at my remark. What does that even mean?

I literally said that his cooking is cheap therapy, affordable but excellent, I answered with a grin painted on my face.

The three of us sat in silence once more, just listening to the crickets chirp and the birds sing their final songs for the night. I heard the wind make its way through the trees, forming a tune in sync with the songs of nature.

After a while, Atticus spoke again. We should probably head to bed, he suggested.

Good idea. Kairi stood up from his seat on the couch and all of us made our way to the base of the stairs, Atticus blowing out the lights on the ground level. We climbed the stairs and I saw that there were two-bedroom doors; a master bedroom and one for a guest. There was also a door leading to the bathroom and one to a little balcony.

Atticus helped Kairi into the master bedroom, so he could have the most comfort possible, and I just waited at the top of the stairs, leaning on the banister. Wow, I thought. Atticus really has a nice house.

Once Kairi was settled in for the night, the Fox boy lead me into the guest room. Unfortunately, there was only one bed. But aside from that, the walls were lined with bookshelves and priceless paintings.

Not enough room for your books downstairs? I queried as I walked around, Atticus shutting the curtains on the window.

You could say that, he chuckled. So, I was thinking I could sleep on the floor. That way youll be comfortable up on the bed, princess.

With that remark, I marched right up to the redheaded host and poked him in the chest, right where his heart would be. First off, I began. Dont call me that. Second, I will take the floor, not you. This is your house.

Atticus chuckled once again. We can go back and forth with this argument, and it will get you nowhere. Take the bed.

There was complete silence – not counting Kairi snoring next door – as the two of us stared into each others eyes, no one daring to break eye contact. Atticuss bright green eyes boring holes in my blue ones.

Then out of nowhere, he picked me up by my waist and literally threw me onto the bed, which brutally backfired. At first I thought he wouldnt be able to pick me up because of the weight of my wings, I guess he thought the same thing because I ended up landing on the floor on the other side of the bed.

Oh my god, are you okay? Atticus was at my side in seconds.

I just knocked him off his feet with my wings as a reply. Karma sucker!

Ill take that as a yes. The boy reached out to grab my hand and lifted me off the floor when he stood back up. Sorry about that though. I really thought my plan for you to take the bed would work. Guess I underestimated my own strength.

I just laughed. Why was this Fox so sweet and funny? No, its okay. Im all in one piece, and Ill take the bed. Only if it will stop you from throwing me across the room.

Good, Atticus responded cheerfully. He then grabbed a sleeping bag from one of the shelves and rolled it along the floor. He unzipped it and threw a pillow in the bag. The bathrooms just out the door so you can change. I gathered that youd be more comfortable getting ready for bed in there.

Thanks, I happily acknowledged, grabbing my bag from beside the door where I left it. Ill be back in a minute or two.

I walked outside the door and found the bathroom. There was a small shower, a few shelves, a toilet, and a vanity with a big mirror. I put my bag on the bench and opened it, grabbing out an oversized tunic, shorts, my hairbrush, and a hair tie.

I changed into my pyjamas and folded my old clothes, placing them back in my bag. Turning to the vanity I brushed through my knotty blonde hair, tying it into a half bun. I packed up my stuff and left the bathroom, walking back into the guest room in which Ill be staying.