Chapter 11

Amara

Something has changed, the castle doesnt feel like itself anymore. Walking through the halls makes it feel as though something is missing. Or it could be someone. Realising that someone was not where theyre supposed to be, I made a beeline to Elixs chambers. He ought to know who is missing.

Although it was the middle of the night, I could see extremely well. Being a Fox does come with its perks, aside from the judging from other people around you.

The halls were dark from the lack of light, except for the occasional glowing flower bud hanging from the walls. Most of the doors are naturally left open as no one occupies them. But the one room Im looking for, always has the door firmly shut. The young prince Elixs room.

As per usual, the whispers followed me around the halls. These whispers are indecipherable voices that haunt me in both my conscious and subconscious state. I can never tell what theyre saying, they just appeared when queen Idina died. I just cant seem to get rid of them.

Finally I came across a familiar wooden door, one with whorls of brass and copper fixed in a swirling pattern on the material. With a quick knock on the door, I announced my presence with my rings rasping on the door. It was a moment or two before the door opened to reveal a dishevelled Elix.

The princes brown hair was sticking up in random places, and his eyebags were darker than usual. Miss Amara? his voice was hoarse, and he rubbed his tired eyes. Whatever are you doing here?

Do invite me inside, would you? I politely asked.

Elix opened the door further and stepped to the side to let me through. He sat on the edge of his bed, throwing on a plain dressing gown. Glad to have a chance to sit, I rested down on Elixs nest chair that he keeps in the middle of his room.

What is it that you needed so badly that you had to wake me up at this ungodly hour of the night, Amara? The prince asked, clearly exhausted.

Have you perhaps felt as though an important presence is missing in these mere palace walls? I tauntingly asked, smirking when I saw the boy in front of me squirm. I believe that you know her well.

If you mean my mother, of course I have always noticed her absence. Elix remarked. And I definitely wouldnt know her well.

I chuckled. No need for the attitude, young princeling. I watched as his wings flared out and pressed themselves back to his body. Im not referring to your late mother.

Again, Elix stiffened up. Whoever is it that you mean if not my mother?

Why your sister of course. It was then that I was grinning like a maniac.

Wait, shes gone? Man, his lying skills are atrocious.

Of course she is. And I know that you had something to do with her inconvenient disappearance, I stated, rising from my seat. And Im going to find out where she is. With that, I left the room, shutting the door behind me.