Chapter 26

Elix

I was pacing around in my bedroom, trying to mentally prepare myself. Today was the day I am to be married to Idyllia, and I am stressing out. The ceremony is going to be held in the throne room, which is where Im supposed to be in five minutes. I was decked out in a black and blue suit, a touch of silver for embellishment.

There was a knock at my door as Amara walked in, dressed in a floor length purple gown that accentuated her figure. In her hands she held a small wooden box. She quietly walked over and sat on my bed. Out of curiosity, I sat next to her, looking at the box in her hands.

It was made of ash wood and was about the size of one of my books in my room. On the lid of the box was a carving of a pair of open wings with leafy details around the edges. When Amara placed it my hands, the weight of it caught me by surprise. I looked back at Amara in confusion, to which she just nodded at me in response.

I looked back down at the box and cautiously opened the lid, the hinges creaking from age. The interior of the box was lined with a white velvet that was soft and delicate to the touch. Sitting in the folds of material was an iron crown. It was smaller than Fathers, but it was just as heavy. The crown had no gems or regal spikes lining it; however it looked as if it were made of leaves and branches composed of iron.

Do you like it? Amara piped up from my side, eyes filled with pride as I looked over the crown in my hands. I almost forgot that she was still here.

Yes, of course, I replied, a huge smile on my face. But why would you give this to me now?

Amara reached out and gently grabbed my hand. Elix, she started, her dark eyes locking with my own. This crown is a symbol of growth and honour. So what I am hoping is that you will become a kind and honourable ruler if you were to become king.

She took the crown out of my hands and rubbed a speck of something away with the hem of her gown. Amara then brushed my hair back and placed the crown on my head, resting it between the ruffles of my dark hair. Thank you, Amara. We embraced each other in a hug and stayed like that for a while.

§§§

The large doors to the Grand Hall of the palace opened for me, giving me a view of all of the guests that had gathered for the wedding. I took a deep breath and made my way down the aisle. Guests looked at me as I passed by and I could hear them whispering to one another.

The room was decorated in shades of blue and purples, with the occasional glint of black. I made my way to the end of the purple carpet to stand next to the priest. I took yet another deep breath and patiently waiting for my bride to walk down the aisle. I looked to the right and saw my father, decked out in blues and blacks. He took notice of the crown on my head and gave me a smile, to which I gladly returned.

The music started up and the guests rose from their seats, facing the doors. The entrance opened to reveal Idyllia and her father. The pair started to slowly make their way down the aisle.

Idyllia wore a blue gown that faded into purple then into black, perfectly complimenting her deep blue eyes. She held a bouquet of black roses and blue lilies wrapped in purple fabric. Her veil was completely black and had embroidered designs of ocean waves. She looked gorgeous.

Idyllias father let go of her arm and walked over to his seat while I moved to lead her to the stand. I gently grabbed Idyllias hand and lead her to the stand where the priest was waiting. The guests took their seats again and watched the ceremony continue.

Do you, Elix Hawksley, the priest began. Take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife? To nurture and care for her through sickness and in health.

I do, your honour, I replied.

The priest then turned to Idyllia and asked her the same question. I do, your honour, she said.

You may now trade the rings, the priest declared.

I turned to my bride and took her left hand in my own, slipping the silver band onto her delicate finger. She did the same to my hand when I was done. We shared a smile before the priest spoke again.

Then in the name of holy matrimony, I hereby present these two as husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.

Idyllia turned to me and we locked eyes. It was almost like a dream. We leaned in and our lips connected as if they were puzzle pieces. We shared that moment as ours, forgetting that everyone else was present, just enjoying the true bliss that is today. We separated for air and locked eyes once more, breathing heavily.

I love you, Elix. Idyllias voice was soft and meaningful, warming my heart.

I love you too.