Chapter 4

Amara

There was a knock on my bedroom door and when I opened it, there stood the two pesky Owling twins. Everlys strawberry hair was cut short, mush to my distaste, and her annoying blue eyes bore into mine. Elix, however, looked like he was unwillingly dragged from the other end of the palace and his cobalt eyes looked very tired.

Miss Amara, Elix began, brushing a hand through his deep brown hair. Everly and I have been told of the prophecy that was given before we were born. We would like to know the name of the seer who gave it.

I took a long and dramatic sigh before answering. No.

Wait, Everly jumped in. Why cant you tell us? We assumed that you were there that day because youve been working for the king since you were our age, and you must have met the Seer. Did they at least tell you their name?

I have already said no. Why did the older one has to be the most annoying?

Come on, Everly, Elix tried to usher his sister back to her room. Amara clearly doesnt want to talk.

Just a minute please, brother. The princess walked closer to me, enough that she was almost eye level with me. You must know something. A name? where the travelled from? Their age? Anything?

What part of no dont you understand? I raised my voice at the infernal princess. You are like a pest. I cant stand it when you demand for something in your whiney voice. You always beg to be included in things that have nothing to do with you. Will it kill you to not have the spotlight on you for five minutes? Just get out of my sight already.

Both twins were silent as the princesss eyes began to tear up. She ran down the hall with the end of her dress flowing with her. Her brother stayed in his place and glared at me, his gaze boring into my soul. That was very much uncalled for, Amara.

She had no right to keep pestering me about that prophet from seventeen years ago, I defended myself, my voice softer now that Everly was gone.

Couldnt you have just answered her instead of raising your voice and making her cry? Is it that hard to be nice for once?

I took yet another sigh and pressed my fingers on the bridge of my nose. If it will make you feel better, Ill tell you what you need to know.

Really? The princes eyes lit up with excitement. You would do that for me?

Yes, now prepare to take notes on what Im about to say. As you know, I dont like repeating myself. I lead Elix into my room and gave him all the information him and his sister will need and more.