The Motive

Drake

When I got on stage, I went into my zone. The whole crew was up here and I knew was were about to shut shit down. Wayne was on my left and Nicki was on my right. When I heard the beat to "Only" drop, everything popped off.

N: Yoo! I never fucked Wayne, I never fucked Drake...

When I get on stage, my music takes over me. Nothing else matters except for the feeling that I get right then and there. I started moving from side to side and pretty soon, I was hype. By the time "Truffle Butter" came on, I was on fire. I decided to walk to the edge of the stage and I wish I hadn't. Because when I opened my eyes, I looked up just in time to see Aaliyah laughing and rapping my part with her friends. The sight hit me hard.

W: Alright Aaliyah, we see you!

By now everybody was laughing and looking over at them. They just smiled and continued rapping. I went over and started mimicking her moves before putting the mic up by her lips.

A: (rapping) Look you're getting all you friends and your getting in the car, and you're coming to my house are we clear right now huh!

D: (smiling) Aye, aye, aye! Yall give it up for the beautiful Aaliyah!

A: (blushing) Awww!

D: Can I have a hug?

A: (laughs) Yes you can.

And for the moment, the world stopped. She felt good. She smelt good. I think I'll remember everything about this moment. It was just us two for a moment. But the moment didn't last. She began to pull away and as much as I wanted to pull her back and lay my head on her shoulder, I knew it wasn't the time for that. I let her go and hopped back on stage to finish the set. But the smell of her perfume was still on me. Damn, I'm lost yo.

When we got off stage, I made my way to the V.I.P. booth just to clear my mind and gain some composure. Wayne and Nick were right behind me and they were talking about the very object of my frustration.

N: (laughing) Yooo! Did you hear Aaliyah rapping??? Who knew?!

W: For real though, she sounded good (puts arm around Drake's shoulder) I thought this nigga was never going to let her go though

N: That was a long ass hug (bursts out laughing)

W: Yo man, you good?

D: Yeah, just got a lot on my mind

N: We definitely need to see if we can get her on a track!

W: That would be dope as fuck!

D: Hell yeah, I've been trying but I haven't heard back yet

W: Who you hit up, Tim?

D: Naw, I've been going through Noah

W: The last time I talked to Tim, he said him and Missy was trying to get her back into the studio but she's more focused on her movies right now.

N: Shit that will be dope as hell if they can get her back in the studio

Wayne and Nick continued to talk but I just need a little quiet time. I went and sat on the sofa just thinking about what it felt like to hold her in my arms.