Texting You

Aaliyah

I was riding in the car with Rashad on our way home to eat dinner with mom and dad when I got a text to my phone. I looked down and seen it was from Drake. I smiled and giggled. It was a picture of him looking goofy at a basketball game.

D: You know you could have been here with me right?

A: Boy please. And have tongues wagging? U know they still trying to dig up dirt after that day at the restaurant.

D: I feel u. But wyd when u leave ur parents house?

A: Probably just going back home to chill. Wyd?

D: I told Wayne I'd slide through his video so probably out with the crew

A: Word. Well have fun

D: I'd rather b w/ u tho

A: (smiling)

R: Who you texting?

A: Dang nosey (laughs)

R: Whatever

When we got to the house we seen Dad outside in the garage. I ran and jumped in his arms, kissing him all over his face. He laughed and kissed me back.

A: Hey Daddy!

Mike: Hey Babygirl. Hey Shad!

R: (hugs him) Hey dad

We had a good dinner but right after, my dad and Rashad went into the den to watch basketball. Me and Mom decided to go outside in her garden so we could talk. I could tell she had something she really wanted to say.

Diane: How are you baby?

A: I'm fine Mommy. Just trying to live my dream

Diane: Are you happy Aaliyah?

A: (looks at her funny) I'm okay Mommy. Why do you ask?

Diane: Baby, I know you. You are my one and only babygirl. I got spidey senses when it comes to you and Rashad. Now tell me: are you happy?

A: (sighs) It's just, I-, I want a family Mommy. I want kids, a husband, love. Everything I dreamed of as a little girl. And it just seems like it won't happen.

Diane: (walks over to her/hugs her shoulder) Baby, you've got to give it time. You're only 29. It will all come in due time. For now, enjoy this point in your life

A: (smiles at her) You're right

Diane: (gives her a stern look) But, don't take too long. I want my grand babies (laughs)

A: (laughing) Rashad might give you one before me

Diane: Child, when Kidada stops playing around. That brother of yours is truly head over hills for her

A: You think so?

Diane: Oh yes. Those two are something else honey. (laughs) You mark my words, your best friend will be your sister-in-law

I laughed at the thought of that but, as the saying goes, Mommy knows best. I can't even lie, the thought of that was awesome. Dada is my girl and one of the best friends I've ever had. They would make me so happy!

I thought about what I had just told my mom. It was true. I was happy but I want more out of life. I want to fall in love and get married. Have kids and live the fairytale. But who am I kidding? I barely socialize outside of my clique. The girls are always trying to set me up but... I don't know. I just want a guy to prove to me that he's different. Just then my phone beeped.

D: Gn gorgeous

A: (blushing) Gn

Drake always seemed to make me smile. Rashad came up to me, ready to leave, so we said our goodbyes to our parents and left.