Some Straightening

Drake

Out here in L.A. was wild man. If I wasn't having so much fun in New York, I'd definitely be here. Every scene is jumping and the amount of love is crazy. We just now leaving the studio. Pharrell was out there and had this crazy ass beat he wanted me, Nick and Wayne to jump on. I was riding in the backseat, checking my phone, when a picture of Aaliyah and my face combined popped up on my twitter feed. The caption read 'Singer claims they are just friends...' I sat there for a moment, frozen. Then I started feeling some type of way.

Why the fuck she not claiming me? 

I wanted to call or text her but I knew she was probably in the middle of the photo shoot. This is probably a conversation we need to have face to face anyway. It can wait. I tried to go back to partying with my people but now I was just anxious to get back home to see what the fuck is going on. 

D: Just friends??? I'm not just a fucking friend!

*** THREE DAYS LATER***

As soon as I touched back down in New York, the first spot I went to was Tim's studio. Aaliyah was there sitting in the booth with Missy and Ginuwine when I walked in. Everybody spoke but the main person I wanted to speak to was Liyah.

A: Hey baby (goes to hug him)

D: So I'm baby now? (avoids her hug)

A: (frowns) What's wrong with you?

D: (sighs) Can we talk?

A: Yeah, let's go in the other room

As soon as we got in the other room, I closed and locked the door. I leaned up against it, trying to keep my cool.

A: Aubrey, what's wrong?

D: Why didn't you claim me to that reporter?

A: (sighs) It's not what you think

D: Then explain it to me

A: I just don't want them all in my business! This is a fairly new relationship and I just want to take things slow and-

D: Liyah, don't think you are going to hide me. I'm your man and I want to be treated as such

A: (sighs) Can we just keep this between us and close friends for now?

D: (laughs) Are you fucking kidding me?

A: I'm sick and tired of my business getting plastered across a magazine cover and this last situation with Damon was a little bit too much for me. All I'm asking is for you to give us a little bit more time before we go public with this

D: (sighs) Liyah, I'm trying to be understanding here but all I want is for us to embrace this relationship and be ourselves (bounces down on the sofa)

A: (goes and sits by him) I know baby and I'm sorry. Just please, let's do this my way just until it dies down a little

D: (looks at her) So I'm just a friend as far as the media and everyone else knows?

A: (grabs his chin) Well, technically, you are my friend- just add a boy in front of it (laughs)

D: It's not funny babe (pouts)

A: (kisses his cheek) Awww, I sorry

I picked her up and sat her in my lap, using my chin to snuggle up close to her shoulder. I hate this shit. For the first time in my life, I want to be fully committed and let the world know who I'm with and she wants to let everybody think we're just friends. The fuck?

A: (rubbing his head) There's something else I wanted to run by you too...

D: (looking at her/feeling uneasy) What is it Liyah?

A: Is it possible that we can limit our outings in public until we decide to fully let everyone know about us? 

D: (jumps up) Liyah, are you kidding me!??

A: (straightening up) Just until we decide to let everyone know

D: If it was up to me everyone would know now!

This shit was really blowing my mind. Now she's saying she doesn't want to be seen out in public too much with me! I was boiling hot. That was until I turned around and looked at her face and saw how much this was really weighing on her. Being a fan, I've seen the way the media ridiculed her over the years and interfered in her life. And now that I think about it, it made me almost feel bad for being so mad. She wants to be with me but she doesn't want anything to ruin us. I walked up to her and pulled her into my arms.

D: I'm sorry baby. Whatever you want, I'll do it

A: (looks up at him) Really? I know that it's not right but I just don't want to-

D: I know baby and yes. I mean it. We'll do things your way. Long as I get to have some of your time and all of your love

A: (kisses him) It's all yours

I stood there rocking her back and forth. I was still a little upset but it was quickly fading away as I held her. This is the moment that I've dreamed about for too many years to count. A few little quirks are harmless, long as we remain tight.

D: Stay the night with me?

A: Yes