[chapter ninety three] chasing shadows

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Staring at the ceiling in the dark and her body cocooned in chains, Aires eyes traced the cracks on the ceiling as she waited for time to pass. The voices had roared back to life once again, tempting her to do the devils work.

From the doorway, Chris stood watching the girl with tears burning in his eyes. "She's just a child." He whispered to Klaus who slowly shook his head.

"Little Hale stopped being a child a long time ago."

"She's just a kid." Chris protested in a whisper.

"I know." Klaus shot back before forcing a smile onto his lips and walking into the room.

With tired, lifeless eyes, Aires glanced at him. She hadn't seen him in weeks, and she didn't think she was going to after their last conversation. "Good to know you haven't kicked the bucket yet." She muttered.

A scoff fell past his lips as he slowly shook his head at her. "Good to know you're still cracking jokes, Little Hale."

"Little Hale? I'll politely inform you in case you've forgotten but i'm no longer little Hale, i'm eighteen- i'll be eighteen forever."

"You're still little Hale." He shot back, making a scowl blossom on the girl's face.

"Technically, I'm older than you, little Mikaelson." She shot back.

"Bloody hell- what crap did Rebekah tell you?"

Narrowing her eyes on him, Aires gave him a look whilst shaking her head. "I know your family tree, your family history, and most of yours. You died when you were seventeen, guess what? I'm eighteen."

"You're bloody annoying." Klaus hissed through clenched teeth.

"I'm bloody correct, little Mikaelson." Aires shot back with a smirk on her lips.

"What is it going to take to make you let this information go?"

"You can't meet my price-"

"Try me."

"Well Isaac has been kind of annoying recently-"

"Consider him taken care of." Klaus interrupted without missing a beat, making the Hale gape at him with wide eyes as his words hung in the air.

"I was joking you fucking psycho."

Whilst Aires scowled, Klaus laughed. For a second, everything seemed somewhat normal. Arires seemed like herself, and everything seemed the way it used to be. However, as quickly as the moment came, it died.

"Price?" Klaus poked again.

"Can't reach it." Aires dismissed with a shake of her head.

Her eyes flitted to Klaus as the smile he wore began to drop, and instantly, she knew what it meant. She knew what was happening, what the situation was.

"You're leaving." She muttered in a blank tone, not a question but more of a statement.

"Not now."

"When?"

"Soon. When this is over."

Glancing away, Aires sank back against the wall and let the chains sag against her body. The possibility of it ever being over seemed slim because nothing truly ever ended for good.

"Why do you look like you're saying goodbye now then?" Aires asked curiously as she studied the man through narrowed eyes.

Grinning, Klaus shook his head at the girl. "There won't be a goodbye, you'll end up barrelling back into my life in a few months like a human tornado."