[chapter eighteen] hauntingly beautiful

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

I'm drowning.

Everything had gone deathly silent, even the voices in my head.

Was I even alive? Awake? Breathing?

I could feel soft hands against my cheeks, desperately trying to tug me back into reality.

No. No. No. No. No.

Please let me stay, let me drown in peace. Let me float away, let me never come back.

Everything hurt. The dull ache in my chest grew bigger and bigger, suffocating me. It was real, everything was real. All the memories, all the pained nightmares, they were all real.

I knew Morgan, I knew her when she knew me as Tate. And it wasn't until then that I realised how badly I wanted to know the truth, needed to know it. I didn't grow up with the Hales, the people I thought were my 'family'. I grew up somewhere else, somewhere far away.

And wherever the hell I was, Morgan was there with me.

"REE!" Stiles' voice slowly grounded me back into reality, back into his jeep where all I could focus on was the woods behind him.

Without another thought, I sprang off his lap and flew out the jeep, running as fast as I could into the woods. I didn't know what I was doing, I had no real plan. I just needed to remember, I needed to know everything.

"DON'T TOUCH HER!" The smaller version of myself screamed whilst protectively covering Morgan's small frame with her own body.

"Tate." A blonde in a cloak mumbled, her identity concealed, as she slowly approached the two.

"DON'T YOU DARE HURT HER!"

"Tate, let Morgan go."

"NO."

A mix of rage and tears swam in the smaller girl's eyes as she shifted about, desperately trying to get as far away from the cloaked figures as she could. She didn't seem to care about her own safety, about what could happen to her. All she wanted was for Morgan to make it out alive.

With a nod of her head, the cloaked blonde silently commanded the rest of the figures to move towards the two small girls. But the second one neared Tate, the girl's hand flew in the air and she sent the man crumpling down to the ground with a sickening snap of his neck.

Dead.

"Tate." Morgan whispered in a hushed tone, sending the small blonde into fight mode.

As the next cloaked figure charged at her, she let out an ear piercing scream. Blood poured from her eyes as she watched more lifeless bodies drop to the ground. One after the other, she took them down.

A scowl twisted on the cloaked blondes lips as she furiously shook her head. "Erase her memory of the past few days."

"But, Ma'am-"

"Erase them after you sedate her. If she wakes up she won't cooperate and we have gotten so close to victory."

The same necklace from Mexico hung around the woman's neck, the same one that the ancestors once protected, the same one I had stolen.

With a gasp, I stumbled back into reality. I knew her, I really knew her. Everything was too much, too heavy. I couldn't breathe.

With burning eyes, I slowly tilted my head back and stared up the clear night sky. Stars sat scattered around, all equally as beautiful. I could stare at them forever.