[chapter twenty three] a sky full of stars

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

Over a year ago I found out that I was Tate Hale, that my mother wasn't actually my mother, that my whole childhood had been a lie. After that I never really looked into it again.

I got my answer.

I was Tate Hale, Talia raised me. That was all I needed to know.

I never really cared about my father, or who he was. I assumed he was a nobody, a coward. But this whole time I had known him. He had been a part of my life.

He was my protector.

Slowly, I opened the door to Allison's bedroom and slipped inside. I hadn't been inside the room for months, not since she was alive. With a hint of a frown, I slid into her bed, pulling the covers up to my face.

"I really fucking need you, Alli."

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

I had allowed myself a couple hours of walling in self pity before I dragged myself out of Allison's bed and forced myself out of the door. Despite everything that had happened in the span of twenty four hours, I had yet to shed a tear.

If I started to cry, I didn't think I would ever stop.

My face remained expressionless as I stormed up the stone steps towards the loft. No frown, no sass, no sarcasm. I was truly and completely hollow inside. Every time I thought the universe was finally giving me a break I was greeted with a slap across the face and then thrown off a mountain. And somehow, I had survived every goddamn time.

I wanted answers- needed them. I had gone too long allowing myself to live in delusion when really I knew what I needed to do. If Peter wasn't going to talk then there would be a bloodbath. I didn't care that he was my father, the man was nothing but a lying, betraying bastard to me.

"One day, you, me, Derek, Cora, Lilith and Laura went down to the lake. It was winter, and the night before it had snowed. I remember looking out that morning and seeing ice cover the water and immediately I ran into your room and begged you to take me on the ice. We were out there for hours, laughing, falling, skating. It was the best day of my life." A sickening silence stretched between us as I narrowed my eyes on the man. "It wasn't real, was it?"

The memory I once loved took place one Christmas, it had been the best few days of my life, or so I thought. Looking back at the memory, everything was perfect, too perfect. And I immediately knew what was in my head was nothing but a lie.

"No." Peter whispered with a slow shake of his head, sending a race of fury through my chest.

"All the parties, the fancy dinners, the adventures- None of it was real? None of it?"

"Not all of it."

I wanted to scream, to rip apart everything, to go on a rampage and destroy anyone who crossed my path. But instead I stood at the entrance of the loft with a blank expression on my face.

Don't let them see anything, Aires.

Don't let them hear your heart break.

"There's this one christmas, the one when I was eight." I forced out as I swallowed the bile that rose in the back of my throat. "It was just after Malia but before Eichen House. What happened on that day, Peter? It's all a blur and it's one of the only memories I have that isn't crystal clear, the only one that doesn't make sense."