[chapter thirty five] the fine line between death and control

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

They had barely made it out alive.

Malia was the one who saw the fire first, she was the one to call it. Just like Scott had hoped, Aires had found them, she hunted them, smoked them out.

Just like Scott had predicted.

"It worked." He whispered whilst shooting a glance at Stiles. "We knew she would come, and she did. She showed up with only Ester and Kate, what does that tell you?"

"That she only trusts them?" Stiles muttered with a frown.

"No, she's losing her patience. We know she's now transitioned into their leader. At some point, the role switched from Ester to Ree. She has a lot to prove to keep up with that role and if she's not bringing the other members of their coven out when she's tracking us then it's because she doesn't want them to see the fact that she still hadn't gotten us to hand over Lydia."

Aires may have been playing a game with them, but they were also playing a game with her. Only, they were at two different stages. Aires had checkmate in sight, and Scott was gambling with whatever he was given.

However, if Scott had one flaw, it was always overlooking Aires, always underestimating her. They may have been best friends, but that didn't mean he understood. He could never put himself in her shoes, think about things from her perspective.

They had both gone through hell, both lost people they had loved, but with that grief, they had drifted. They had both changed. Aires wasn't the same person she was in sophomore year, she had turned into a stranger.

She wasn't happy, she didn't smile, all she felt was darkness. It consumed her life, her thoughts, her heart. What she would have done, was not the same as what she would do. Pain can change a person, it can turn them into a stranger, it can turn them into somebody unrecognisable.

Scott was underestimating the person she was now, because he was comparing her to the person she was.

"Scotty." Stiles whispered whilst frantically shaking his head. "We are testing dangerous waters. We can't draw her out again. Aires losing her patience, means her getting pissed off. We can't provoke her. Next time it won't work out in our favour."

It wasn't they were dealing with Aires consumed by dark magic, they were dealing with someone they didn't recognize. They knew nothing about the person she had turned into, they couldn't predict what she could do. They were gambling with darkness.

"But this time it did!" Scott shot back. "And next time, we kill her."

"What?" Stiles hissed in a cold tone.

"It's the only way we will be able to get her away from The Society and lock her in the Hale house, she won't go alive. We kill her and then she will go into transition. And then, when she's asleep, we take her."

"No."

"What?"

"She doesn't want to be a vampire- SHE NEVER WANTED TO BE ONE!"

Aires had barely made it through having her vampire side destroyed by the coven, she barely made it through being an actual vampire. For weeks, guilt, anger, and pain had haunted her. She was cursed with immortality, something she never wanted.

Everyone around her would grow old, live life, have kids. All things she couldn't have. She was inferitle, she would never get a family, and even if by some miracle she did, she would have to watch them all die. She would be cursed with having to watch everyone she ever loved die, she would have to continue to live without them all.