Chapter 30: Alone in the dark

After the concert, all the guests attend the after party

After the concert, all the guests attend the after party. The waiters serve drinks and everyone talks to each other.

Guest: “Didn’t you enjoy the performance?”

Guest (2): “Certainly. However, out of the two, the first girl’s performance was better than the last one.”

Guest (3): “Was that blonde girl singing for those…” (she whispers) “Those mechs?”

Guest (4): “I believe so. All I know is that they don't belong here.”

Guest (3): “Them or the earthlings?”

Guest (4): (She takes a sip of her wine) “All of them if you ask me.”

As the guests continue their conversation, Clarissa overhears them and looks down with sadness. Marissa then places her hand over her niece’s shoulder to comfort her. Weiss also stands by Clarissa with Pyrrha. However, Jaques was talking to a businessman about a sensitive matter.

Jaques: “That’s precisely my point. We offer faunus the exact same wages given to the rest of our mining staff. Their argument is completely invalid right out of the gate.

Businessman: “Well I think the bigger issue here is our society as a whole.”

Jaques: (Scoffs) "Why, you mean Atlas?"

In between the conversation, Weiss, Pyrrha, and Clarissa all look at the painting of Beacon Academy. Marissa then notices and gestures for Clarissa to take a closer look at it if she wants to.

Businessman: "Atlas, Mantle, you can't deny the economic disparity between the two.”

Businesswoman: “I mean, what exactly are you suggesting?”

As Pyrrha and Clarissa both start walking towards the painting, Weiss tries to follow behind only for her father to stop her without even looking at her. Shortly after he turns to Weiss’ attention.

Jaques: “Where are you going?”

Weiss: “I’m… just a little thirsty.”

Jaques: “Sweetheart, we have people for that.” (He raises his hand for a waiter, but Weiss stops him)

Weiss: “What? No, I can get it. Pyrrha and Clarissa are already grabbing drinks too, and I promised to catch up to them.”

Jaques looks ahead to see Pyrrha and Clarissa both looking at the painting, then looks back at Weiss.

Weiss: “I’ll be right back, I promise.”

He then looks at Marissa, who gives him a gesture to let her go. As he thinks for a moment, Jaques then lets Weiss catchup to her friends, and turns back to the business people.

Jaques: “I’m sorry, I tuned out for a second, but sounds like I'm the good guy again?”

Marissa rolls her eyes at the remark as Jaques and the business people share a laugh.