Chapter 35: Wisdom and Sacrifice

Character spotlight: Lie Ren

In the ruined Village of Kuroyuri, Chainbreak slowly drives to a dead Sakura Tree while carrying Jaune, Ruby, and Qrow in the trailer. As she stops, she unhooks herself and transforms into her robot mode while grunting with pain.

Ruby (Worried): "Chainbreak."

Chainbreak: "I-..." (She grabs her side with pain) "I'm fine… you and Jaune need to help Uncle Qrow first…"

Jaune and Ruby both look at Chainbreak with concerned expressions, until they decide to look around.

Ruby: "Any of these places look like a pharmacy?"

Jaune: "It's… honestly hard to tell."

As they both look around, they notice items that were left behind by the people that used to live there.

Ruby: "Ren really didn't want to come here, did he?"

Jaune: "Uh… didn't seem so."

Ruby: "Do you know why?"

Jaune (Sighs): "I think I have a pretty good idea."

As the two continued walking, they passed by a withered waterlily left on the ground.

Long ago in the same village, the same water lily was seen in a water path. As the boy looked closer at the flower, he was called by his mother.

An Ren (Giggling): "Why hello little Lie. Are we trying to catch a fish?"

The boy, Lie Ren, happily points at the flower.

Ren (Young): "I've found a flower in the water!"

An: "Oh, I see!"

Ren then runs up to his mother

Ren (Young): "Can we take it home and plant it in the garden?"

An: "Oh, no sweetheart. That flower lives here." (Ren looks down and An pats him on the head) "But I'll tell you what you can do. Take this Lien and go find something nice for your father's return. He's been hunting for quite some time. I bet that the journey's been very tiring, don't you?"