21

Monday, 7 days until the transfer period ends.

I arrived at the office, and Horan was standing in front of the installations' main door.

"Horan, who are you waiting for?" I asked when I arrived there.

"You." He answered.

"Oh, I'm not late, am I?" I checked my watch, confused.

"Calm down, you're not late." He laughed softly.

"Then what is going on?" I asked. "Stop being so mysterious." I laughed.

"What if I want to be mysterious?" He said, with an ironic tone.

"I'll just go inside." I answered, and chuckled.

"Ugh, fine. Mr Kenwright wants to talk to us." He gave up and stopped joking.

"And why would you arrive early? Were we supposed to?" I asked.

"I already told you, you are not late. I came a bit early to check the numbers and that stuff, so we don't spend more than what we can afford this week." He explained.

"Good idea. The last week of the transfer period can be too crazy." I said.

"Exactly. We can't lose our minds." He said.

Could he have told me he was going to do that before doing it? Yes. Am I going to argue over that again? No. And I have a reason.

I genuinely felt like he had the best of intentions this time. He already knows how much I hate numbers. His tone this time was different from the one he used before. He didn't want to waste time on that so he arrived early to do it himself. Nice.

"Should we?" He asked, looking at the door.

"Yeah." I replied, and we entered the offices.

The talk with Mr Kenwright went alright. It was pretty short. He said he was going to talk to the manager after the training and he wanted to know our opinion. We agreed on giving him a chance to rethink things, and start winning more often.

Then, Horan and I went to our office to keep working on the transfer period.

I am having a really nice time right now. Everything work-related is going like it should, and I've never seen Horan so motivated. We actually had some laughs, and talked a bit about our past transfer period experiences.

"So you actually always do a 11:59pm." He said.

"Yeah. Well, in the two transfer periods I was in at Blackpool, I did it." I said.

To do A 11:59pm, meant signing a player at the last minute of the transfer period. 11:59 pm on September 1st.

"You keep surprising me." He chuckled.

"You said you like doing it." I told him.

"We actually did it because we never finished things on time. I want to do it for fun at least once." He said.

"We can do it for fun this time." I smiled at him.

"That means we did our work on time. That 's amazing." He said.

"It 's good, yeah. We did a great job." I told him.

"We are a good team, aren't we?" He said.

"I wasn't expecting this when I arrived to be honest." I admitted.

"Me neither." He said.

"What did you expect?" I asked.

"The same thing that had happened every year before. What about you?"