Part 6 - Does He Know?

The morning sun bathed through your bedroom windows in a warm glow as got ready for a day of barbecue and relaxation. You woke up with a sense of anticipation, knowing that the day ahead held the promise of shared laughter and delicious food. If one thing is for sure, it's that your dad knows how to organise a good barbecue.

"Morning, daddy. Morning, Robert" you greet them cheerfully with a smirk as you enter the kitchen where the aroma of coffee is filling the air.

Robert's face is priceless when he hears your words. Calling him daddy in the bedroom is one thing, but using the word in front of him and your dad is causing his heart to skip a beat.

"Morning, sweetheart. Robert's already helping me setting up the grill" your dad replies.

"Morning, Tori. Here's your coffee" he leans closer to you and hands you a warm cup of coffee.

"Thank you, Mr. Downey" you grin and make sure to brush your hand against his as you take the coffee from him.

"Mr. Downey? Victoria, please. We'll be staying here for 3 months, I want you to feel comfortable around Robert, not intimidated" your dad jumps in the conversation.

"You're right, daddy. From now on it's Robert, no reason to not feel comfortable around him" you make sure to have intense eye contact with Robert.

"That's good, yes" he clears his throat nervously, dying to get rid of the tension and guilt that's washing over him.

He then goes outside to the backyard and continues arranging charcoal and checking the barbecue equipment. The scent of bacon is already noticeable, setting off a good start to this sunny day.

"I'm sure he'll let his guard down, don't worry. He might seem serious at first but he's really different once you get to know him" your dad reassures you.

"I'm sure he is" you smile deviously.

After continuing a small conversation, you eventually join Robert outside. You can't help but steal glances at him, appreciating the casual way he's wearing his summer outfit, a casual shirt and shorts. It's the first time you actually see him being dressed that casually and it's a very pretty sight, just as expected.

As the morning progressed, the yard transformed into a lively setting. Robert and your dad seamlessly took turns at the grill, each showcasing their own culinary prowess. The tasty scent of grilling meat wafted through the air, a mouthwatering promise of what's about to come.

Robert, the one who actually has built his life around here, was the one who had invited some friends over. When the time came, he welcomed them with a warm smile, introducing them to you and your dad. Of course your dad had heard of some of them already but this was your first time meeting them.

"Nice to meet you, Sam" you shake one of their hands as you introduce yourself.

It was definitely not random, Sam is the one who caught your eye. Such a handsome man that you couldn't resist showing him an extra bit of attention compared to the others. He didn't seem to be having any specific interest towards you yet, but that didn't stop Robert from giving you the side eye from his place.

"Nice hand skills there" you stand next to Robert behind the grill and whisper.

"Can you stop with the little hints already?" he complains quietly.

"What can I say? I love the way look when you're uncomfortable" you tease him further.

"Seriously, Tori" he nervously looks behind his shoulder to make sure no one's close, "This isn't a good time for this behaviour, not with these people around" he clenches his jaw.