Part 15 - Wine & Dine

It's been a while since you, your dad and Robert gathered up for anything together. You almost forgot how difficult it is having to hide the truth from your dad.

"I'm so happy we're doing this again. I know our schedules have been busy but we should really make this a tradition" you dad suggests, taking a seat on the table.

"John, wow, you made all that?" Robert sounds amazed.

"No, dummy, it's called take out, isn't it obvious?" you reply casually but soon realise that you might have been too comfortable around Robert in front of your dad's eyes.

"Vic-Tori!" your dad coughs in shock.

"It's okay, John" Robert smiles nervously, "it was a stupid question on my part" he continues.

"I just wish that Tori would think more about what she says" he clears his throat while giving you a judgmental look.

"I'm sorry, dad, Robert. I wasn't thinking straight" you gulp and try to act apologetic.

With the corner of your eye you catch Robert subtly shaking his head in disappointment. His fear of getting caught is always keeping him awake at night after every encounter with you and your dad.

"Anyway, this all looks delicious, John" Robert changes the subject.

"Thank you, I actually got the idea from you" your dad says.

"How's that?" Robert questions.

"I remembered all those times in high school that we wanted to try sushi but we're too broke for it so we went for pizza instead" they both chuckle, thinking of these times.

"You two were skipping classes together?" you gasp.

"Of course we were. Doesn't every student do so?" Robert asks.

"To be fair, it wasn't a very common thing" your dad corrects the way you're imagining things.

"Please keep unraveling my dad's past" you laugh.

"Oh, like the time he went to the principal's office for playing a prank at Mrs. Henderson?" Robert's face lights up.

"Tell me everything" you sound engaged to whatever story is coming up.

Your dad hides his face in embarrassment as Robert gets in an awful lot of details of how what was supposed to be a simple prank ended up being all over the paper. Yes, paper, because these old men were in high school 40 years ago.

"I will bring some wine, the next stories are going to need it" you say happily as you get up from the dining table.

You take a few steps and, just when you're barely out of sight, you hear Robert's voice.

"I'll go help with picking up the correct bottle. Something tells me Tori doesn't have enough experience in the matter" Robert tells your dad before also standing up.

You smile to yourself and continue walking down to the basement, where Robert's wine collection lies safely. His heavy footsteps make their presence known as he joins you in the basement.

"Mr. Downey, aren't you being suspicious by sneaking out with me in the basement?" you ask seductively.

"Nothing suspicious about picking up a bottle of wine together" he answers quietly.

You bite your lower lip and face his huge wine collection, pretending that you're looking through them to make a decision. He takes his bossy body language and stands right behind you, practically gluing his front against your back. It's like the temperature went way off the charts within seconds.