Part 9 - Rodeo

"Robert?" Jeffrey's smile gets as wide as possible.

The two of them look at each other with a combination of emotions, mostly excitement and shock. The moment that they walk towards each other and hug is the moment your jaw drops all the way down to the floor.

"Wait, what's happening? You know each other? How?" you have so many questions.

"Robert and I were roommates in college. God, that was so long ago" he laughs.

"How small the world is" your dad shakes his head in amazement.

"What are you doing here?" Robert asks Jeffrey.

"I'm here for Tori. We're dating" he says with a smile.

"You-You-You're... Tori's... boyfriend... that's you?" Robert stutters.

"Exactly. Isn't that amazing?" Jeffrey is having the time of his life as Robert is at the verge of having a breakdown.

"I personally think this is a very good thing. Easier to bond when Robert and Jeffrey already know each other" your dad says happily.

"Why don't you all take a seat? I'll go freshen up a little bit and be right back" Robert clears his throat and takes the first few steps away.

Your dad nods and walks towards the dining table, leaving you and Jeffrey behind. You look at him straight in the eyes, showing off how worried you are about the situation. He, on the other hand, smiles and shows you how calm and amused he is.

"That wine is amazing" Jeffrey comments after taking his first sip.

"It really is. Robert has a whole collection, and every single one that I've tried has never let me down" your dad answers.

"Speak of the devil" you whisper when Robert comes back to the table.

The few water drops around his sleeves tell you everything you need to know. He was definitely in the bathroom throwing water on his face to cool down. You're both experiencing the same amount of stress.

"What were you talking about?" he asks in worry.

"Wines. You and Jeffrey seem to have many common interests" your dad replies.

"That's true. Me and Robert are frequently drawn to the same things" Jeffrey says with a big grin.

"Ha ha ha, that's so funny, Jeff... so funny" Robert fake laughs and drinks almost all the water in his glass in one sip.

"Jeff is funny. Always him and his little jokes" you add, looking into his eyes blankly.

Jeffrey's smile is constant. The more time that goes by the more you're wishing for this dinner to be over. Your dad, on the other hand, has dived into deep conversations with both Robert and Jeffrey about their past years together. Hearing about how close they were, their stories, their laughters, how they're bonding again, it's all so weird to you.

"I hate to break this, everyone, but I have to work in the morning. It was a pleasure meeting you, Jeffrey" your dad genuinely smiles and shakes his hand.

"Me, too, John. I'm looking forward to catching up again" he smiles back and shakes the hand strongly.

You hug your dad, you all say goodbye and then you wait until he's out of reach. The exhales coming out of your and Robert's mouths are loud enough to make up for the silence.

"So you're the guy that's sleeping with my girlfriend" Jeffrey breaks the silence.

"Oh my God" you shake your head.