Ch2. Anniversary

I wake slowly and peacefully this morning, an uncommon occurrence to the usual abrupt wake up from a nightmare filled night.

I feel the sheets around me, finding them still as they were last night. With them I feel his arms wrapped protectively around me, just like they are every morning. 

I turn to look up at his face, finding his eyes trained on me, awake.

"Morning" I smile.

"Morning" he repeats, "no nightmares?" He questions with a smile.

I shake my head, "you?" I question in response.

He shakes his head, then smiles goofily at me, "guess it's the universes anniversary gift to us."

I smile, "yeah. Happy anniversary"

"Happy anniversary" he echoes back leaning down and pressing our lips together, I lean in revelling in the sensation of his lips on mine.

When he finally pulls back, the same goofy grin rests on his face, "I love you so much"

I grin back at him, "I love you too" I'm the one who leans in this time, I can't believe this amazing man in front of me is my husband.

"So what are we going to do today?" I ask him when I pull back.

He smirks "well we could just stay here all day"

"Yeah?" I smirk back, leaning in closer to him.

He makes the first move and I don't resist.

***

I watch as he moves around our kitchen gracefully preparing breakfast. He's only wearing his undershorts, not bothering to put anything more on yet.

"I'm thinking we could go to the lake today" he voices breaking the silence we had been sitting in.

I think about his words, "yeah sounds good" I smile over at him.

"I'm thinking we could have a picnic" he adds.

I nod, "yeah that would be nice"

He nods back at me, "I'll prepare it after this"

I can't help but grin, "have I told you how much I love you?"

"Only a few times" is his mischievous reply, followed by a kiss pressed to the side of my head.

I groan playfully, "I'm trying to eat" I whine.

Peeta chuckles, "you'll have plenty of time to eat later"

I roll my eyes, "not my sandwich"

This makes him laugh guiding my hands down to gain access to my lips.

When he pulls back I frown, "hey!" I exclaim at him, "that was not nearly long enough" I pout.

He chuckles again before leaning in again, this time lingering quite a bit longer as we explore each others mouths as if we were doing it for the first time. The all too familiar fuzzy feeling has made it's way to my stomach, twinging with each move we make as one.

All too soon he pulls away again, but we don't get much of a break before I lean in again, pulling him back down to my level.

After another quick little exploration he pulls away again, frowning at me "I'm sorry, but I should really start on lunch if we want to make it out there before sundown"

I nod picking up my food again and sadly biting into it wishing it was Peeta I was holding.

Instead I compromise his kisses for his pecks, continuing to watch him work his way around the kitchen, occasionally catching his grin in response to my staring.