Ch16. Rumour

"Katniss!" My mother's voice is almost frantic on the other side of the line.

It was definitely not her voice I was expecting to hear when I picked up the phone.

"Are you pregnant?" without any greetings or pleasantries her rushed question lingers in the air.

"What?" I ask in an exasperated breath.

"Are you pregnant?" She repeats only slightly more frantic this time.

All words seem to leave me as she waits for an answer, "y- yeah" I manage to let out, the shock still in my system at hearing her voice.

"How did you know?" I'm quick to ask in reply, dumbfounded at how my mother who was miles away knew that I was pregnant.

"It was on the news" she tells me as if it were obvious, "now tell me everything"

I pause for a moment her words washing over me in a frustrated wave.

With I sigh I start "Well I'm sixteen weeks" I say, unsure what else there is to tell.

"Wow sixteen weeks" her voice holds excitement, "do you know the gender yet?"

Again I sigh "No, we're going to wait"

"How are you feeling?" She's quick to fire her questions.

"Alright" I shrug unhelpfully, "I was really sick the first couple of weeks though"

"Ahh yes the second trimester works wonders"

We continue to talk for what seems like hours but is really only half, we catch each other up on what's happening in both of our lives and even discuss her visiting us.

Then just as our conversation reaches it's end and we've both said our goodbyes, another call comes through the receiver.

I pull it back up to my ear muttering a small "hello"

"Katniss I just saw on the news, please tell me it's real" this time it's Effie's voice that fills my ears.

"Yes Effie" I sigh, "it's true"

She squeals into the phone, I swear bursting an eardrum with how loud it is, I pull the speaker away from my ear until I can no longer hear it, then as I bring it back I just catch the end of her question.

"Tell me everything!"

"Okay well I'm sixteen weeks" I start, deciding to follow a similar conversation as I did with my mother"

"Boy or girl?"

"We don't know"

"Oooh a surprise. Tell me have you been really sick?"

"Yeah" I tell her simply.

"Craving salty or sweet?"

"Uh salty I guess" 

"Carrying high or low?"

"What?"

"Never mind"

"I think it's a girl" she tells me excitedly.

I smile, "Peeta thinks so too"

"Oh then it has to be, Peeta is never wrong about these things"

I shake my head a laugh escaping me, "well I can't really argue with that, but it still could be a little boy"

"Either way they are going to be adorable, tell me when are you due I wanna see this baby as soon as I can"

Effie continued to talk for roughly another half hour, asking me many questions and telling me all the things I should buy for the baby.