ch7. Doctors

"I'm fine Peeta" I tell him sternly once again, placing my hand on his bouncing leg in hopes to calm it down.

He sighs, "I know I'm just worried about you"

I smile over at him, I knew as soon I told him about my recent dizzy spells and nausea he would rush me over to the doctors.

So there we were, waiting in the new doctors office in district 12.

Next to me I feel his good leg subconsciously begin to bounce beside me again, but before I get the chance to scold him about it the doctor calls my name, guiding both of us into her room as we stand up.

It's even more tense when we make it inside the room, my stomach is quite literally in knots.

"So what can I do for you today?" She asks me kindly, glancing over at Peeta every so often.

"I uh, have been feeling rather dizzy and nauseas lately" I'm suddenly very nervous as I try and remember why I was here in the first place.

She types some notes into her computer, "I see, any other symptoms?"

I wrack my brain back to the past couple of weeks, "I guess I've been more tired, but I don't know if that's related"

She nods, typing a bit more before speaking again.

"Now I have to ask, Is there any chance you could be pregnant?"

I look over at Peeta before I answer "Uh I guess, but I've been taking tests and they've all been negative. We've been trying though" I tell the doctor nervously.

She simply nods, "I'll get you to have a blood test anyway, that way we can rule that one out, as well as a few other things."

We both nod at this answer, leading to her excusing herself from the room to gather the required items.

I look back other at Peeta when she's gone, squeezing his hand for both his comfort and my own.

When she enters again she has a handful of items in a small tub. She guides me over to the bench and begins to collect a sample of my blood, filling up a small tube with it.

When she's done she hands me a small container, "would you also be able to give me a sample of urine?"

I nod slowly, listening to her instructions before I leave to complete it.

I finish fairly quickly, entering back into the small room to hand the doctor the container. she takes it from me with a small thanks, parting from us with the instruction to wait in the waiting room for the results of both tests.

We both anxiously wait together, holding each other tightly as we quietly talk about what was said.

It isn't long before we're called back again, this time both of us seemingly more nervous than before.

"Well I have some news for you" she pauses a moment inspecting our reactions before continuing, "you're pregnant"

I turn to Peeta stunned in my reaction. His expression is full of many emotions, excitement, joy and confusion being the main ones he's rotating between. Meanwhile I'm speechless, undecided what I feel at this revelation.

When it's clear neither of us have any words she continues, "however I would like to do some further testing today as I'm not liking your HCG levels"

I'm suddenly concerned by her words and it must show on my face as she is quick to reassure me, "it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong, I would just like to see how far along you are and maybe see why you weren't getting a positive test."

I nod smiling at her reassurance, though a part of me is still terrified at what could go wrong, Peeta seemingly feels the same as me as his grip tightens around my hand, while a small smile rests on his face.

"I'm going to introduce you two to one of our ultrasound tech, she'll look after your further testing, and assuming all goes well today she'll be the one who does your prenatal appointments." We both nod as we stand up again, following her out of her room and into another one down the hall.

As we walk into the new room, we're both suddenly enamoured by the posters on the walls, all of them based on kids and pregnancy.

"Hi Katniss and Peeta Mellark" I'm pulled back to reality by a new voice. As I turn my attention to it I realise it must be the new doctor, or midwife I think I heard the other doctor, who I can't remember the name of say on our way over.

I nod over at her with a small smile.

"I'm Dr Jenkins, but you can call me Lucy if you prefer. I take care of the ultrasounds here, which I believe we're performing today?" I nod again nervously, "I also specialise in prenatal care, which I also believe will be apart of your future"

I smile, "hopefully"

"Great, now would you be able to come lay on this table for me?" I do as I'm told and lay on the slightly elevated bench, pulling up my shirt as I'm later directed.

She squirts a small blob of gel onto my now exposed stomach, warning me of its coldness as she does.

I grab hold of Peeta's hand next to me, squeezing it tightly as I take in the fuzzy screen before us.

She moves the wand all around my stomach, pausing at a couple points to inspect the screen. We both watch her curiously as we die with anticipation.

Finally she turns to us, "I'm measuring about seven weeks, which doesn't totally align with the tests we took earlier"

"Okay" i'm the one who speaks first, "what does that mean?"

She wipes the excess gel off my stomach, "the fetus has about a fifty percent chance of survival" she grimly tells us.

"It could be absolutely fine" she reassures us, "but I would like you in next week to see if your levels are rising and we'll go from there. Does that sound alright?"

I look at Peeta once again to see how he's handling it, he's already nodding at her question and so I join in.

She smiles, "great, I'll see you guys then"

I pause, "do I need to do anything?"

She shakes her head, "it's all up to your body, if it isn't viable it'll know what to do, we can't do anything to further its chances of survival if it is unviable unfortunately"

She takes a breath picking up a bottle off her desk, "However I will send you home with some prenatal vitamins that may help you into a healthy pregnancy."

I nod, taking the bottle from her outstretched hand before grabbing hold of Peeta's hand again in my other hand.

His thumb caresses my hand gently as we head to the reception area, booking in another appointment with them quickly before making our way back out onto the street for our journey home.

"Well" I begin, words still failing to process.

"Well" Peeta repeats, understanding sounds in his voice, an unspoken agreement between us of our feelings on the subject.

"I'm so excited" he finally says, voicing the words I've been trying to say for a while now.

"Yeah" I simply agree. "I'm nervous for next week" I voice my concerns.

He nods squeezing my hand tighter.

"I am too" he admits "but it'll be alright, I just know it will" I nod grimly.

"I hope"