Ch39. Surprises

I'm aware of Peeta's arms around me, strong and inviting, as my body fights to fall back asleep.

It's no use though because not a minute later Willow's whimpers are sounding from the baby monitor by my bedside.

It's barely audible, not loud enough to wake Peeta who is luckily still asleep, but loud enough to alert me to Willow's unhappiness.

Inwardly I sigh, carefully pushing myself out of Peeta's warm embrace and onto the cold carpeted floor.

Her cries get louder the closer I get until finally they stop, Willow having caught sight of me.

"Hi baby" I smile at her reaching my arms over to lift her into my arms.

She coos at the movement reaching a hand into my shirt the moment it's in reach.

"Alright alright It's coming" I laugh transferring her around in my arms as I find a seat on the rocking chair, "not even a good morning mama before demanding food"

Lifting my shirt she latches on immediately, her loud suckles quickly filling the air.

At her speed I shush her gently, smoothing down her messy little curls, and eventually she slows down slightly, finding a nice steady pace.

I keep my hand on her hair, twiddling the tiny strands between my fingers as I admire the growth of it. I can't help but think of the future when her hair is longer and I can put it up into cute little hairstyles.

I almost laugh out loud when Willow's tiny hand comes up to reach my hair, twiddling it around her tiny fingers almost identically to the way I've been playing with her hair.

"You like mama's hair?" I ask her quietly. Smiling when she just about grins around my breast.

"Alright finish up love we gotta go surprise dada for his birthday"

Despite my request Willow takes her time finishing up, but of course this is fine by me, after my years of being deprived of food, Willow can eat as much as she wants.

Eventually when she has finally finished and I've burped her I quickly scour her drawers to find a cute outfit to dress her in.

Eventually I come up with a cute yellow onesie adorned with daisies. I even manage to find a matching skirt and headband which I dress her in knowing full well they won't last more than an hour.

When she's fully dressed I take a moment to admire how adorable she looks. I grin back down at her as I catch her grinning up at me simultaneously trying to grab her feet.

Lifting her up into my arms again she wraps herself around me, resting her head against my chest as we walk.

I take her into mine and Peeta's room where we find Peeta still fast asleep.

Willow reaches out to Peeta as soon as she sees him and with a giggle from me I give in to her placing her directly onto his chest.

For a moment she's confused about being placed down but once she realises her daddy is within her reach she giggles mischievously reaching out her tiny hand to play with his nose.

The action appears to wake Peeta up immediately, jumping slightly before grinning widely realising who it is that woke him up.

"Well good morning" his voice is low and husky, just like it always is when he first wakes up. The sound almost makes me shiver from delight.

Willow gurgles in response grinning back at Peeta just like she normally would. I swear this little girl loves her daddy so much.

"Definitely the favourite" I whisper underneath my breath an air of mock annoyance to my voice.