Ch32. Growing

"Come on Willow you've got it!" Peeta cheers on from across the room.

I can't help but smile when her attention is drawn to her fathers voice. After a moment I move the soft crinkly object closer to her, bringing her gaze back from her father to the toy as it makes a noise.

I laugh as a determined look crosses her face, a crease of her eyebrows appearing as she tries to decipher how to reach the toy.

With all the might her tiny body can hold she lifts her head hurling one of her flimsy hands out to reach it, the fist just grazes the toy, falling back down to the ground along with her head.

Along with Peeta I praise her immensely for her strength, encouraging her to keep trying but as her heavy head lays on the ground, a small whimper I know will quickly turn into sobs escaping her, I know we are done with tummy time today.

Before she can even begin to make the pitiful noise I hate to hear I lift her up into my arms.

"I think it's time for a nap hmm?" I rock her gently, already calming down the small whines that escape her.

"You did a good job today little bug" I praise brightly, "you're going to be holding your head up and crawling before we know it" even as I say it I don't want to think about it. I want her to stay my little baby forever, having her rely and depend on me forevermore.

Peeta helps us up off the floor and together we walk towards Willow's nursery.

I plop down onto the rocking chair easily, popping out a boob for Willow to nurse just as I do every time before she goes to sleep.

It's all become very routine for us, down to the way I sing every feed.

As I finish out the soft lullaby Willow is struggling to keep her eyes open, still latched on but barely.

When she has finally detached fully, Peeta takes her from me burping her quickly before rocking her in his arms slowly, by then she is a goner, snoring softly like a miniature version of her father.

I watch as he places her down in her crib, laying a hand softly on her belly. He whispers something down to her quietly, finishing off with a soft kiss to her forehead, then it's my turn.

I do much the same, caressing a finger down her chubby little arms and belly.

"Goodnight little bug" I whisper pressing a tender kiss to her forehead.

Finishing my last goodbyes I slowly turn back to face Peeta, finding him leaning gently on the doorframe with a soft smile. I smile back tenderly and together we walk out of the room, turning the lights out as we do.

I lean into his side as we head back downstairs, then I'm not sure who reaches first but either way our hands clasp together, holding on tightly until we finally reach the kitchen.

With Willow asleep we take the time to ourselves to prepare dinner, it's peaceful in the kitchen, Peeta cooking like he typically does in our pairing, with the occasional help from me who sits on one of the barstools watching him.

We talk quietly between ourselves, though we don't really need to, Willow's nursery is far enough away from the kitchen that she probably could just barely hear us if we started yelling. Still neither of us want to risk it, and whispering ultimately creates a more peaceful environment for us.

"I can't believe it's been a month" I whisper to him after a particularly long silence.

At my words Peeta picks up his eyes, watching me with a soft smile. "It feels like just yesterday we were bringing her home here"

I nod, "yet a lifetime ago" I finish his thoughts. "She's already growing up too fast" I chuckle sadly to myself.

At that he simply nods, picking back up where he left off with dinner.

As we eat we reminisce between us our memories with Willow so far, and though it's only been a month so many fond ones come to mind.

I've just finished recounting the story of Willow's last blowout, one that Peeta just so happened to not be there for, when I notice his expression.

I watch as the familiar look of him thinking changes to contemplation and then back again, clearly something on his mind.

"What's up?" I ask him gently.

He seems a little surprised at my question, jumping slightly at the change of tone.

Another moment of silence washes over us before he states "I'm thinking next week I'll start going into the bakery a couple of days a week"

For a moment i'm taken aback, but I'm quick to flash him a comforting smile.

"If that's what you want"

He's silent again for a moment, clearly not completely sold. "I don't know what I want" he says truthfully. "I know Barb, Will and Drew can handle things just fine down there, but I feel bad leaving it to them, plus I do kind of miss it."

I nod thinking of myself and my own hobbies, I realise I've barely been outside the past couple of weeks, something that I used to try and do daily.

"Yeah I get that"

He looks over at me again, "I don't want to be away from Willow though, or you for that matter"

I nod again, thinking deeply.

"Well, if it's something that you want to do, I'm sure I can handle things here, or at the very least a couple hours a week" I pause "but I get it if you don't want to be away from Willow just yet."

He nods slowly, "I'll definitely have to think over it a bit more"

I once again nod, smiling to myself as I lean into his chest, letting out a long yawn as I do.

Quickly his arms come to wrap around me, embracing me in his warmth.=

"I'm tired" I state as another long yawn escapes me.

Peeta chuckles lightly whispering back, "me too"

For a moment we don't move, just staying in our cuddled position as we continue to embrace each others warmth.

Then he suggests it, "you want to head up to bed?"

I nod against his chest, moving slowly to remove myself from it.

Peeta quickly follows and together we ascend the stairs again, pausing briefly by Willow's room to check on her before making our way into our own room.

We both pull on our pyjamas almost immediately once we get there, sliding into bed together before momentarily flicking off the lamp.

His arms find my waist and my head finds his chest, his rhythmical heartbeat lulling me into sleep.