Ch33. Bakery

I watch over Willow as she sleeps, no where else I'd rather be than here.

A part of me wishes to pick her up, holding her in my arms always makes a part of me feel complete, but I know that's a bad idea. She's had a tough day today and she needs all the sleep she can get.

Maybe I should get some sleep too, god knows I need it with how little I've slept this past month or so, especially today. But still as I stand over her I can't bring myself to leave her, not when Peeta's not here to keep me company.

At the thought of him I wonder how he's doing.

Today is his first day back at the bakery since I had Willow and though his shift is shorter than any of the ones he had before his leave, I somehow miss him more.

It's been a hard day for all of us.

Though she's not quite old enough to understand it yet I can tell Willow misses her Daddy, she's been practically crying all day, begging for me to hold her most of the day, it's a wonder I even got her down for a nap.

Eventually it's my stomach that moves me, reminding me with a grumble that I haven't eaten since breakfast.

With Willow down for a nap now might be my only chance for a while so I take advantage of it, parting from Willow with a quick Kiss before quietly leaving the room.

I make sure to take the baby monitor down with me, placing it down on the kitchen bench as I prepare a quick sandwich.

I've only just started eating as the machine starts to make some noise, I wait with a held breath, hoping that her small whimpers would eventually die down and not turn into full on sobs, but at last it does.

Sighing I shove as much food in my mouth as I can and head upstairs again.

I lift her up into my arms almost immediately after reaching her, shushing her tiny wails as I bounce her soothingly in my arms.

Once she's in my arms her cries turn back into whimpers, her small head resting against my chest like it usually does when I hold her.

"I know baby" I sooth, "I miss him too"

Again her whimpers turn back into cries, her tiny face red and scrunched up as she tries to communicate her feelings the best way she can.

"Shhhh" I whisper down to her, "mama's got you, Daddy will be home soon"

Her cries don't quieten in fact I think they may be getting louder, the noise is starting to overwhelm me, sending me in to my own hysteria.

"Come on Willow please stop crying" I beg her, "mama's trying"

It's not enough. I need Peeta I think to myself, no, we need Peeta.

Pulling a blanket from her closet I wrap her up in it hastily, the action seizing some of the noise.

"You want to go see daddy?"

At my question the noise almost completely stops, leaving only small hiccups in it's place.

"Yeah? Let's go see him"

With that I hoist her back up into my arms, finding a loose pair of shoes to slip on before heading out into town.

She stays quiet on the walk, nuzzling into my chest and her blanket as a cool breeze flows through the air.

I think she knows that we're going to see Peeta, but it could also be the change of scenery that relaxes her, I know at the very least it's relaxing to me.

The bakery's quiet when we finally arrive and for that I'm thankful.

I see him almost immediately and I can tell he does as well as his face breaks out into a huge grin.