Ch15. Sorta Big Sister

"I don't think there's a better sight in the world" Peeta's voice rings out across the bakery, capturing my attention.

"What?" I ask him, looking up to catch his soft smile turn to a laugh.

"You there caressing your belly, sitting in your chair in my bakery" he explains.

I smile, at this point It just feels natural to rest my hands there, most of the time I don't even realise I'm doing it until Peeta points it out.

"Go back to work" I laugh, earning a chuckle back in response.

"Wait" he turns back around, "could you make those things you made yesterday, you know those little savoury sausage bites"

He smiles, "of course"

"Actually could you add some berries to the dough, or actually maybe just some jam. Wait, no do both, that sounds so good"

He gives me a funny look, "are you sure, I don't think that will taste very well together"

I shake my head, "trust me that is what I want, I just really want them together"

He nods turning to face the bench again and beginning to create my craving.

I watch him as he works, just as I normally would though this time I'm aware of my bump, feeling it and rubbing it as my mind thinks over a bunch of small thoughts.

I'm pulled once again from my half state of day dreaming this time by a small voice.

Sure enough little Stella comes toddling in, followed closely by her mother.

"My, you've gotten so big" I smile over at her, slowly standing and moving to meet her open arms in a hug, she signals for me to pick her up which I do, lifting her up to rest just above my bump.

I can feel Josie's eyes on my abdomen just bellow where Stella sits, and as I look over at her I can see the cogs turning in her brain.

"Oh my god! Are you—?"

I nod.

She gasps, "oh my god, congratulations!" She comes in to wrap her arms around me and Stella, embracing me and in turn Stella in a hug.

"How far along are you?"

"Fourteen weeks" I smile.

I feel Peeta creep up behind me, wrapping his arms around me as he rubs my shoulders comfortingly.

Stella reaches out to Peeta, now wanting him to hold her.

I pass her over and watch as Peeta interacts with her, my mind picturing him holding our own child.

"Hey Stella, can you see Katniss' tummy" peeta asks the small girl softly, "she's got a baby in there"

Stella gasps "I big sister?" She asks in her adorable little toddler voice, one of her tiny fingers turning to point to herself.

"Well not rea-" her mom begins.

"Yeah I guess you're kinda like a big sister" Peeta interrupts, "you'll teach them things like a big sister won't you?"

Stella nods eagerly.

"Then it's settled, you're a sorta big sister"

She smiles, a look of determination on her face.

"Do you want your cupcake?" Peeta asks her with a smile, the look of determination at being the best big sister turning to excitement as she remembers why she was here in the first place.

"Cake! Cake! Cake!" The three of us chuckle at her little chant.

"I'll take that as a yes" Peeta laughs, guiding them over to the display.

We all follow, Josie asking me a bunch of questions about the pregnancy, then following up with tips and tricks from her own experience.

"Oh I should bring you guys some of Stella's old things" Josie exclaims following the talk of what items they would need to buy.

"No that's okay" I'm the first to say, "you don't need to"

"No I insist, I was going to get rid of them at some point anyway"

"Then you can sell them, give it to some other family that needs it more than us"

She frowns, "you guys give Stella so much, please just let me pay you back"

I can see Peeta about to interrupt this time though Josie doesn't let him, "that way you can give back to more kids. I'm sure there are many little kids just like Stella who would love your cupcakes but their parents can't afford them. If you take this gift then you can give back more to those kids."

I think over it a second, really I don't think we'd be run down into the ground if we did both of these things, but she did pull up a good deal and she was desperate to pay us back.

I look over to Peeta, sensing he was thinking much the same thing as I was.

I surreptitiously nod over at him and he nods back.

"Okay, thank you"