Chapter 2

MYA

"Welcome class to a new school year", Ms. Green begins. "I can't believe that was the last time I was able to tell you that. Senior year..."

As she uses some seconds to fill her soul with nostalgia, I start getting worried on my own. Last year Becca and I will be together in a class. My bestie and I have been in the same class for years. I can't imagine walking in a classroom and not having her next to me. Not being able to gossip with her and spend the big breaks together. Kinda scary if you think about it.

"For this year, the board has come with an idea I'm sure you'll enjoy. Each senior year, the students of Venier Private High School are able to do a project to celebrate their last months in this place. For this year's class, we thought of something that has never been done before."

I don't know if I should feel excited or concerned.

"This year, we'll make anonymous pen pals."

I'm sorry, what?!

About five hands go up, mine one of them. Ms. Green lets out a chuckle: "Before you start shooting questions at me, let me at least explain."

Our hands involuntarily go down. She continues: "You've each been elected a partner. The selection has been made by picking names out of a bowl, so that it would be fair for everybody. During some English classes or as homework, you'll have to write letters to your partners. Now, usually in a such pen pal program, you know the name of your partner. In our case, you don't. And you never will. We won't tell you who your partner is, not even after graduation."

"Then why are we doing this?", a guy in my class asks.

I've never liked him in particular, but he just improved some levels on my list.

"Because, Leon, it is a great social experiment. People feel more free to talk about their fears and problems when they don't know the one they're talking to. See it as free therapy."

Leon doesn't look so convinced. Neither am I.

"And yes, before you all ask, it is mandatory to participate in this program. Any questions?"

"Is it really mandatory?", Emory asks.

The woman nods. And then continues: "Oh, I forgot to add one thing. Since we wanted you to experience stuff from another point of view, we all paired you with a person from the opposite gender. So, girls, you'll work with a boy, and boys, you'll have a girl." She pauses, if only to hear the round of complaints. "Now, I'll ask you to write your first letter as homework. I'll call your names and you'll come to me. I'll hand you a big envelope containing a smaller envelope in the selected color for you. Each one has a color you'll use to communicate in the future. Since you can't tell your names, the color will be the only way to find out which envelope is for who." She takes out a list and begins: "Miss Rebecca Abbott"

I give my bestie an encouraging look and she smiles, standing up after making sure the pink bow in her head is still looking nice, she walks over to the desk. Ms. Green offers her an envelope, then Becca says thank you and comes back to her sit next to me.

I wait another few minutes until I hear my name being called. "Miss Mya Jenna Cunnan"

I stand up and walk over to the table, taking the envelope. It suddenly feels heavy in my hands. Like I'm holding something very important.

As I sit back down, I realize I have no idea what to write in that letter.