Chapter 52

LUKAS & MADDIE

LUKAS

"Mr. Winthrope, oh do come in", Mr. Reed says. All interviews are finished. Tomorrow is the big day. The day that could determine our future.

I walk inside, seeing he got a little office for himself for our stay at Yale. I take a sit on the chair at his desk and wait. I don't know what to do. Waiting is all I can do til tomorrow.

"Are you here for a particular reason, or...", he asks.

I wait. I might be fucked up, but I'm not past that right now.

"You wonder if I know the results, don't you?", he continues, a smirk on his lips.

I wait. But this time, I also nod.

"I might, but you're going to know them tomorrow, like everybody else."

Coming here was pointless. I know. But I'm going insane not knowing if Maddie and I will be together next year.

I stand up, planning to walk away. it's then he stops me. "Mr. Winthrope"

"Yes."

"I wouldn't need that dorm accommodation starting September if I were you."

I swallow hard.

It's then I leave the room.

~

MADDIE

The ceremony takes place in a huge lecture room. I'm already on stage, a diploma in my hands. I got in. I got in. I can't help but want to scream and shout and cheer and cry at the same time. I'm a mess of emotions, all wanting to burst out at once.

I keep staring at Lukas.

The jury has one more name to announce. And I'm begging it is my boyfriend's, for if not, I might as well want to sink deeper than the floor.

"Joining Madeline Delance at Yale University next year", the voice says. I close my eyes. Deep breaths, Maddie. Deep fucking breaths.

"A person who worked hard and proved commitment, strength and perseverance."

Deep fucking breaths.

"Mr. Lukas Winthrope."

I scream. And before I know it, Lukas is walking on stage, a smile on his face. I watch him get his diploma and shake the professor's hand. He walks over to Mr. Reed, and shakes his hand as well. And then he walks up to me, where a soft brush has me going insane.

We did it.

We did it.

We're together.

I want to cry of joy, and I notice a tear escaping my eye.

We wait til the ceremony is done and everybody is outside to allow ourselves to hug. Next year will be different, I think. Once finally free of our families, we'll be able to kiss and hold hand and simply be together. Without having to hide.

"Congratulations, love", Lukas tells me smirking. I wrap my hand around his neck, pulling him closer. I lose it and just kiss him.

Diplomas in our hands, hope in our hearts, this kiss is filled with promises.

Someone clearing their throat. Lukas and I pull away, looking around the room. We find Mr. Reed casually leaning in the doorframe, staring at us. "I knew there was some chemistry going on", he begins. It's then he smiles, noticing the worries in our eyes. "Don't worry, what my students do in their free time is none of my business. I'm only here to help you learn everything you need to reach the college of your dreams. Which, you just did. Congratulations."

A smile blooms on my lips as Lukas places his hand on my waist, pulling me back close to him.

"Thank you", I tell Mr. Reed. "For everything", I continue. He gets it. For all the help with school. But also for not telling anyone about Lukas and me.

He only shrugs matter-of-factly. "I'll leave you to your celebration then. You deserve it."

He wants to walk away, as Lukas stops him. "Yesterday you told me I won't need the college dorm room, although you knew we'd get in. Why?"

He turns back around, looking at us with his arms crossed at his chest and a smile on his face. "You know, Mr. Winthrope, La Dolce is pretty popular around here. Even with ex-students."

Oh.

So that's where he must have seen us together. At the Italian place that night.

"And I didn't say you wouldn't get in. I was just saying you might not need a dorm room. Who knows, maybe the two of you decide to share an apartment instead. You know, like roommates?"

Lukas and I chuckle as Mr. Reed smirks. "I'll expect you on the plane on Sunday", he says as he's leaving. As soon as he's out the door, I'm back at kissing Lukas.

I want to forever remember this moment. The first moment I think of tomorrow, and I have to smile.