Chapter 39

MADDIE

It's Lukas' birthday.

And instead of making a huge party, he chose to invite me, Mya and Percy and take us all for a hike. He was rather nervous about it, wondering if we'll say no, but it surprised him to see we all agreed.

He's driving me to the parking spot we're supposed to meet with the others at. We could have all driven together, but Mya said she wasn't at home so it will be better if she came herself. Percy came alone too.

As Lukas parks the car, I help him with the picnic baskets, in the trunk, and we kiss a bit during the process. I'm in some leggings, a T-Shirt with a daisy and sneakers. Lukas is in his Under Armour look, the one he always wears while hiking.

"How are you feeling?", I ask him smiling.

He smiles in return, looking so honest and content. "Perfect. With you with me, perfect."

I chuckle, lifting myself on my toes to kiss him. We're interrupted by an engine sound and a car parking next to ours. Percy steps out a convertible, wearing a plain white T-Shirt, grey sweatpants and sneakers.

"Mister adult", he screams, coming to pat Lukas on the back. My boyfriend is already eighteen. I'll be too in less than two weeks. It's crazy how close our birthdays are.

Lukas chuckles and I let go to let them share their bro moment. Percy then hands him a small gift bag. He opens it to reveal a box with a fancy watch. Lukas seems to be happy about his gift. I remember the way he cried as he opened my present. I gave it to him earlier in the car, since it was supposed to be for his eyes only. Since we started out as pen pals, I made him a stack of 365 love letters, one for each day. When he turns 19, I'll offer him a new stack. I want him to be able to know how much I love him even when I'm not allowed to tell it to him.

Percy is helping out with some bags as a new car appears, the by now familiar APOLLO SUV. Mya parks the car next to Percy's and hops out of it, looking ready for a hike. Biker shorts with a hoodie and sneakers, her hair up in a ponytail. I don't question the fact I have seen the hoodie on Ashton before, or the fact I know it's his. I also don't question why she seems to be glowing with happiness or how her bottom lips seems a bit swollen. I remember she said she hasn't spent the night at home, and Ash wasn't home yesterday for dinner either.

I connect two plus two.

Oh.

Mya seems to be a walking Sunshine as she walks over to us locking her car, coming to give Lukas a hug.

"Finally legal to do all those stuff you read about", she teases him. "I'm proud of you, babe."

I swallow hard, my cheeks blushing at that. Something inside me tells me I want to be the victim of his recreation attempts.

He chuckles, offering me a wink. Someone save me.

Mya offers him his present, something that looks very big. As he unwraps the wrapping, I noticed she used brown wrapping paper, his favorite color, with golden ribbon, his second favorite color. The package contains a bunch of new books, annotating supplies and other reading material. Lukas goes through the books inside, seeming above happy. He starts dying of laughter at something. Mya, who made the package, also starts laughing, probably knowing what caused that.

"What's up?", I ask, managing to get in front of him and look inside. It's then I see it. Haunting Adeline. Mya really wasn't lying as she said finally legal.

"Baby", I let out shocked.

He blushes. It looks damn cute. Mya smirks as she explains: "He asked me for the smuttiest book I've ever read to get some inspiration for your dates. You're welcome."