Chapter 28

MADDIE

*message from the author: for best reading experience, play "My Love Mine All Mine" in the background*

Lukas is waiting for us as promised in front of the coffee shop. I see he really meant it as he said gym clothes, for he's also in Under Armour compression shirt, shorts and sneakers. He comes greet us outside with a cup holder, coming to wrap an arm around my shoulder while pressing his lips on my temple.

I suck a breath.

"Hello, Daisy", he whispers in my ear, only for me to hear. "You might have to reconsider that offer, for you look stunning. Want me to tell it to you or do you want us to try a kiss?"

"First option", I don't drift away from my choices, no matter how dumb they are. "Definitely first one."

He chuckles, pressing another kiss on my temple and whispering in my ear how beautiful I am. He then offers me a cup, that I notice has "Daisy" and a heart written on it. "Your Caramel Frappucino, my lady." I thank him and take a first sip, not moving away from where his arm rests on my shoulder, actually moving closer to him, til I'm leaning on him.

Although he doesn't say anything, his breath gets heavier and I can see his cheeks blush.

"And for you", he says, handing Mya her drink.

"A shaken espresso with oat milk cinnamon and one pump of white mocha?", she asks, her eyes lighting up like on Christmas day. She really seems to love coffee.

Then again, how is that an order? That's longer than my Insta bio.

"Of course," he replies. Mya lets out a squeal and thanks him, taking a first sip from her drink.

"What are you waiting for?", she looks at us. "Get going."

"Will you be okay?", Lukas asks, genuinely concerned.

Mya only nods. "I have a whole day with my coffee and taking pictures for fake Insta stories. I'm more than okay."

Lukas and I chuckle as we say goodbye and he leads me to his car, first coming on my side to open the car door for me. He helps me inside, before he goes over to the driver's seat and gets the car going.

"So, where are we going?", I ask him as we hit the highway.

"You'll see", he answers.

"I swear, you're making me nervous. Maybe you did in fact plan to kidnap me and this has been your scheme all along", I tease.

He chuckles, connecting his phone to the car and offering it to me. "You can play whatever you'd like."

"Are you giving me free reign over the music choice?", I ask him. Big mistake.

"Sure", he answers, not seeing a problem in that.

I don't stop. "Dude, that's like offering someone the keys to your heart. It's a pretty big deal."

"In that case", he looks at me. "Madeline Delance, here are the keys to my heart. Please handle with care and never go away."

"That's actually sweet", I reply, taking his hand and giving it a kiss. "Lukas Winthrope", I whisper to him. His eyes seem to be forced to stay on the road. If it were up to him, he'd probably look at me. "My heart is broken but every beating piece is yours. I'm sorry I can't offer you the love you deserve. Please accept it nevertheless, cause it will only ever be yours."

"I'll cherish every piece and make sure to make you smile til your heart is whole again", he answers.

I don't think twice about it before I play: "My Love Mine All Mine". He locks our fingers together and keeps driving with one hand.