Chapter 6

MADDIE

"You're late", Father tells Ash as my brother hands the keys of his car to the valet and joins us on the staircase. Father offers him a full body scan, and as he sees the cigarette in his hands or the unbuttoned shirt, he gives me a look. "Madeline, take care of this mess."

I nod and come closer to my brother. Father takes Sloane's hand and starts leading her up the staircase and inside the building. As they're in a safe distance, Ash flashes his signature smirk and asks, pointing with the cigarette at my dress: "Where is the lucky groom?"

"Fuck you very much", I mutter, starting to fidget my way through the collar of his shirt and tie. I almost gasp as I discover a fresh hickey. As I look at him, his smirk only grows brighter.

"Does Daddy know you talk like that?", he continues his tease.

"Does Daddy know you get laid before coming to a fundraiser?"

"Live a little, Madds", he tells me, softly hitting me with his elbow in my ribcage.

"I don't, so that you can, so stop acting like a dick and be just a little grateful", I can hear myself commenting.

It's just afterwards that I realize what I just said. Yet before I can apologize, Ash freezes and looks at me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "You know I've never asked this from you. I am more than grateful, but don't ever lose yourself just so that he can screw another high schooler."

Ash doesn't approve our Father's relationships. Mom was 19, he was 34 as they met. They got married and she got pregnant. Four years after we were born she met another wealthy man, and one her age, so she ran away with him. We remained with dear old Papa. Who met Sloane two years ago. She was eighteen at the time. I was sixteen. She's two years older than us and Father expects us to call her Mother. While I try to stick around for the show, Ash just stopped caring. The one thing keeping him tied here is me.

"I'm fine, you know I am", I lie. He gives me a look with an eyebrow raised. Yet as he notices I don't want to talk about this any longer, he changes the topic.

"So, who else is gonna be at this shit show?", he asks me.

I mentally go through the list of guests. "Well, the usual."

"So a bunch of people we don't care about", he suggests.

I shrug. "And Mya and Lukas." They are the ones we actually know. Well, not really, I don't know shit about both of them, but they are Venier royalty like us. Power couple, if I might add. He is co-captain of the soccer team along my brother, she is this gorgeous brunette version of Elle Woods. Even with the wish to go to Harvard and all. If we would have a competition in school, Mya Cunnan and Lukas Winthrope might be it.

"Speaking of the devil", Ash says, pointing at a fancy car rolling along the driveway. Lukas gets out first, running a hand along his golden hair. He goes to the other side of the car and opens the car door for Mya, helping her out.

Funny thing is, Ash and I are sort of forbidden to talk to Lukas. His family owns our Father's rival company. Father even tried to make us push him off a rock on a school trip once and make it seem like an accident. And no matter how twisted Ash and I are, that was still a no.

Lukas and Mya walk over to the staircase, Mya having spotted us. She starts leading Lukas our way, til we're close.

"Maddie", she greets me, wrapping an arm around me in a small hug. Her and I both know we basically rule the school. Why be enemies when we could be allies? The same rule doesn't apply for my brother and her boyfriend. They will be probably still be rivals in their graves. Talk about who should be the only real soccer captain and all.

"Mya", I reply. As I let go, I quickly add: "You look stunning." I didn't even have to lie. The pastel blue gala dress she's wearing makes her eyes pop off nicely. It must be so nice being able to choose your gown.

"She really does, doesn't she?", Lukas asks, pressing a kiss on her temple.

Mya lets out a soft smile as she tells me: "Look who's talking. You're gorgeous."

I let out a small giggle as a thank you, while Ash takes another puff from his cigarette, being completely done with this conversation.

"Are you done or are you going to lie yourselves some more?", Ash asks, in the most bored tone he can.

I raise an eyebrow at him, as if a sign to shut up. We've been through this thousands of times. No matter how much he hates Lukas, Mya and I are in good relations and I would hate to break that. For that girl might seem pastel and all, but there is a dangerous side beneath. One that could make her easily end you if she wants.

"Are you meaning to say I'm not pretty?", I try a tease.

Ash doesn't buy it. "No, you're really pretty." He turns to look at Mya, and after analyzing her outfit, he looks away. "As for you, Cunnan, I've seen corpse look more alive."

Lukas immediately goes red. I also have to gasp. "Ashton", I shout at him, yet Lukas speaks at the same time: "What the fuck, Delance?!"

Mya's grip tightens on Lukas, as a secret sign. He looks at her, their eyes meeting, and she nods.

"Very well", he comments, not so thrilled.

Mya turns to look back at me, and smiles, still one of the politest smiles I seen. "It was a pleasure to see you again, Maddie." She then looks at Ash, her gaze going about a hundred degrees colder. "I wish I could say the same, but meeting you isn't a pleasure, Ashton. Yet, I'm sure, especially after your wonderful remark about my outfit, that the feeling is mutual." Before either of us can add anything else, she concludes: "Have a lovely evening." Lukas nods once and the two walk up the stairs, him holding his hand on her waist.

"Great job, Ash", I mutter. "You completely fucked this up."

He shrugs as he takes another puff. "That girl needs to smile more. She really looked frozen."

"Well, I'm pretty sure it ain't your presence or comments that will make the trick."

Ash seems to think about it, then opens his mouth to say something, yet stops himself with a puff. He throws the cigarette in the nearest trash afterwards and takes my hand, ready to lead me up the stairs. "Ready for the show?", he asks me, grin on.

I nod, my breath getting a bit shaky.

He doesn't reply or hide his smirk, but I could swear his hand holds mine a little tighter as we walk up the stairs.