Chapter 30

MADDIE

The first thing I notice as I get back at the coffee shop is Ash, standing next to Mya.

I don't have to think much about it before I quickly glance over at Lukas, who is at the trunk of his car, getting out my bag.

There is no way we can both enter at the same time without Ash noticing something is up. Not after every time I look at Lukas, a stupid smile appears on my face. "You need to go", I tell him. "Now."

"Is everything okay?", he asks panicked. He must think he did something wrong. He did everything right.

I pull him behind the car, so that Ash can't see us. "Ash is here."

"What?!", he lets out. "How? Why?"

"I don't know", I answer, getting alarmed. I think of the encounter between him and Mya. The tension. "But something is up."

"I swear, if he lays one finger on her, I'll beat him up", Lukas hisses.

"Don't", I tell him. "He's still my brother."

"And she's my best friend", he replies.

I take a deep breath. He notices, and wraps his hands around me, pulling me closer to him and kissing the top of my head. "I'm sorry, you're right. Sometimes I forget that. I love you to pieces, but I know I hate him. I'm sorry."

"It's fine", I whisper, looking up at him. "Mya is your best friend and Ash doesn't have the best reputation. I can understand why you're worried. But you need to trust him a bit. Please. If not for him, then do it for me."

He looks like that might just be the hardest task ever, but nods. "I will. For you." Another kiss on my temple.

I press my lips on his, not wanting this day to end. To have to watch him leave. And act like I don't even know him the next day.

"I'll miss you", I whisper.

He looks me in the eyes. And gets it. Gets exactly what I mean. "I'll miss you too, my daisy."

"You go, I'll take care of him", I continue.

"Text me when you get home", he replies worried.

"When can I see you again?", I ask. I need to see him again.

A soft smile appears on his lips. "When would you have time?"

"How about Wednesday? After school?", I suggest.

He nods. "Sounds perfect. Meet me in front of Lester's. Do you know where that is?"

"That café near school?", I ask to make sure. It's on the first street after school, hidden in a corner. There is no one anyone can spot us there.

"Yeah, that one. Meet me in front of it and I'll pick you up from there."

"Where are we going?", I can't help but ask.

He winks. "Do you like surprises?"

I nod.

He smiles. "See you on Wednesday, Daisy."

My heart bleeds as I have to watch him leave.

~

The second thing I notice about the café is the tension. Mya is sipping on a coffee without saying a thing as Ash is looking at her, devouring her with his gaze.

Oh shit

"Where have you been?", he asks me, his eyes still plastered on her. The question gets Mya's attention, who basically bolts up the chair and runs over to hug me.

"How was it?", she whispers in my ear, so that only I can hear. "You need to tell me every detail."

"Are you okay?", I ask her. She'll know the details once I'm assured Ash didn't do her any harm.

"Don't worry about me", Mya says. She doesn't sound so convincing.

"Maybe not here", I answer her first question. I don't have to explain for her to understand why.

"Mads, where have you been?", Ash asks again. His tone is cold, his eyes on me now.

"Out. I trained out a bit, stuff like that", I lie.

He nods. But I know in his eyes he didn't buy it.

"Well, this has been fun", Mya ends. She picks up her coffee from the table, and gives me one quick hug before she adds: "I'll probably need to get going now. See you at school, Maddie."
I can't help but notice how she didn't even look at Ash before she left.

"What the fuck did you do?", I hiss at him as she left.

~

"Nothing", he answers, but only as he's driving. I can notice how his fingers are wrapped a bit too tightly around the wheel. Or how his teeth are pressed as he said that. I want to press the blade in the wound, but he goes for a topic change: "Look, some may believe, but you didn't get me at that training crap. I know you were on a date, just tell me it wasn't with him."

I notice how that "him" comes out a bit too stressed for no violence to be involved.

"It wasn't", I lie. I keep my voice steady. I put a poker face on. For any mistake can come at the price of Lukas getting hurt.

"Then why did you need Mya's help? You two never talked before this date, as much as I'm concerned", he counters.

"And how can you know if the two of us talk? You don't know with whom I text, last time I checked."

Don't give up.

Don't give up now.

Think of Lukas.

"You promise it wasn't him?", he shoots the bullet.

"I promise", I fire back.

I'm sorry, brother. Once, you might understand why I did it.

"I believe you", he keeps attacking that wound.

"Can you promise me you did nothing to Mya?", I play the same game.

His gaze stays unreadable, but I notice the way his Adam's apple worked. "I promise."
I have a feeling it's a lie.

"Just, please, don't hurt her. She doesn't deserve it."

He is definitely clenching his teeth as we reach the driveway.