Chapter 5

MADDIE

I'm staring at the piece of paper in front of me, not knowing how to begin. It feels new having to talk to someone without having to think about all the expectations you have to uphold. Writing this letter, I'm just "a girl". Not Madeline Delance, daughter of Nicholas Delance, the one and only founder of Delance Corporations. I'm not the perfect girl with perfect manners and a perfect smile. Not the one people want me to be.

As I open my pen to start writing, the door to my room flies open and Sloane enters.

Keep calm and carry on, Maddie.

"Madeline", she begins. My Father's girlfriend has never called me by my nickname. Neither has my Father. The only one who calls me like this is my twin. And the entire student body of Venier Private High School. "Nicholas asked me to give you this", she continues. Her blonde hair is falling down her shoulders, leading to a red dress with a huge V-neck.

"Thank you, Sloane", I tell her, taking the packed dress from her hands. It's a white one that makes me look like a future bride. This dress is my nightmare and my Father's desire.

"He insisted you wear that", she says. Then coming closer and looking at my table, she squints her nose: "A letter? Did your phone break? You know you can just ask your Father for a new one."

I shake my head, not wanting this conversation. "A school project. But thanks."

"Oh, okay then." She looks at the digits on her phone, then adds: "Be ready in one hour. Nicholas wants us all coming there as a family." She wants to leave, then remembers something and turns around to look at me once more: "Oh, and can you please speak to Ashton? He won't answer any of my calls."

Downsides of being the only one Ash talks to. I'm surprised she didn't pull the twin card yet.

"I'm glad that guy has a sister like you, otherwise, he'd be a walking mess", she continues.

Oh, she did pull the twin card.

"I'll do my best", I offer. It's not like it would change anything. Ash might talk to me but he for sure doesn't listen to anyone.

"Madeline, you're an angel", she says.

I pull my signature look, a fake smile, and reply: "I'm just happy to help."

I am not sure how much she bought it, but it's enough for her to leave my room with a smile.

I sigh and start rubbing my temples.

~

"Have you ever felt like you're living two different lives? I know this might be completely out of the blue, I haven't even greeted you. Hey there. I'm... Well, that's for me to know and for you to never find out.

I sometimes feel like trapped. Like who I am is hidden inside a box, ready to come out but with no chance of escape. My parents would hate a mistake. Well, my Father. My Mom left a long time ago, she wouldn't know. I'm not sure she'd care. Then you have the whole Venier who would care. Then my friends. All the people who know me...

I am just so fucking tired.

You know, sometimes I just think of running away. Start life on my own terms somewhere.

I'm only here for my brother. He was the one who got our family's pressure most. He needs me.

I'm sorry to start our first letter like this. I can understand if you'd never want to answer.

I hope you have a nice day."