Chapter 27

TRIGGER WARNING!! THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS G*NS, B**DSH*TS, KN*VES, AND D*ATH. PLEASE SKIP THIS CHAPTER IF YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Athalia's POV

"Were you worried?" Eulalia chuckled as soon as I hugged her tightly.

"Sobra!" napatawa siya sa sinabi ko.

"Don't cry, ate." with her weak hands, she gently caressed my face.

"Hindi ako umiyak 'no." umirap ako.

"Okay." Eulalia said still not convinced.

Hindi ko na napigilang ikwento sa kanya lahat ng nangyari simula nung nacoma siya.

She was just listening as I rant everything to her.

"Its okay ate, you fought well to protect them. I am proud of you for hanging and still fighting!" nakangiting aniya habang nakathumbs up.

Oh, what would I do without you, Eulalia.

"Ate?" she called.

"Hmm?"

"Can you promise me ate? That whatever happens, you'll forgive kuya Caleb?" Eulalia said in a whisper, eyes fixed on mine.

I swallowed a lump on my throat and avoided her stare.

"Paano mo nalaman?" tanong ko, tila pinapakalma ang sarili.

"Ate Maelani mentioned." aniya.

"Knowing him, he can't hurt anyone especially people that are close to you. I just know that he has reasons. If you can't forgive him, then atleast forgive him for me. Because I had already forgiven him, ate." she added.

"How can you forgive him easily after he shot you?" hindi makapaniwalang sabi ko.

"People make mistakes, we are not perfect, it is part of our nature. I am sure he had no intention of harming me when he fired the gun." she paused.

"Besides holding on grudges against the people does not give you peace of mind. Why would you allow yourself to suffer from it when you know to yourself that you have the choice to forgive and forget." mahabang lintaya niya.

I clenched my fist, and I felt her hands grasp mine, tenderly and softly.

"Revenge isn't always the answer, for the pain you are feeling. And while revenge might feel satisfying in the moment, it will only add more pain to the pain you already feel, and slowly unconsciously hurt other people in the process, including yourself."

"Just simply let go of the undefying grudges and hope for a better tomorrow." she said in an angelic voice, making my insides calmer.

"Love is about forgiving, how can you love someone if you can't forgive?" aniya at bahagyang ngumiti.

"I know you won't forgive him easily, ate. I know that because I'm your sister. But can you please try and hear his side? For me, please? Can you promise me that?"

I nodded, reluctantly.

"No, I want you to say it right infront of my face. I just want to make sure that you can fullfil my promise." mapanghamong saad niya habang nakangisi.

"I promise, Eulalia." I assured.

"Thank you, ate. Pwede po ba pahingi ng tubig? Nauhaw ako sa lahat ng sinabi ko eh." napatawa ako sa sinabi niya.

"Will you be okay?" I managed to ask.

Ngumiti siya sa akin at nagthumbs up. "I'll be okay, ate!"

Tumayo ako sa kinauupuan at kumuha ng tubig sa counter.

"Eulalia, I have something to tell you-" just as I turned around, the monitors started beeping

Nabitawan ko ang basong hawak ko at mabilis na lumabas ng kwarto.

"Senyora!" gulat na sabi ni Fernan pagkalabas ko.

"Call the doctors! Si Eulalia!" I shouted in panic.

My heart raced as my breathing started to hinch.

In a swift seconds the doctors and nurses came rushing in. Pinalabas muna nila ako habang nirerevive nila si Eulalia.

I was bitting my nails with overflowing anxiety and panic.

Fernan was just beside me. I could also sense that he is worried.

Then suddenly they stopped and turn off the defibrillators.

"B-bakit?! Bakit sila tumigil?!" I managed to speak despite my insides shaking.

"Eulalia Aisha Laure, time of death 4:30 PM." the doctor declared.

Hindi ako makagalaw sa kinatatayuan ko dahil sa sinabi nito. Pakiramdam ko nagpintig ang aking tenga sa kanyang sinabi, tila hindi rumirehistro sa utak ko ang lahat.

My heart began aching as if it was being crushed into pieces until they were as little as dust.

How...how could Eulalia just disappear like that?

Parang kahapon lang, nagkwekwentuhan at nagkakatuwaan kami.

Paanong mabilis siya nitong kinuha mula sa'kin?

Mabilis akong tumakbo sa loob, just before I could twist the knob, Fernan held my arm and hugged me tightly.

"Senyora bawal po pumasok!" hindi ko siya pinansin at pilit na nagpupumiglas sa hawak niya.

"Let go! Let go of me!" I shouted as tears started bursting out.

Fernan finally let go of me as I run as fast as I could to Eulalia.

Marahas ko na tinabing ang mga doctor at niyuyugyog ang aking kapatid sa balikat.

"Eulalia gumising ka! Nag usap palang tayo kanina eh! You can't leave me, you promised!" I cried hysterically.

"Huwag mo 'kong i-iwan... please.... Eulalia gumising ka..." paos na pagtawag ko sa pangalan niya.

"Don't leave me... Eulalia naman eh! Sabi mo hindi mo ako iiwan. Y-you said, you'll b-be okay...." bigong bigo na iyak ko.

Binalot ng iyak, hinagpis, at sigaw ko ang buong silid.

Maelani gently held my shoulders. She was also crying with muffled sobs.

Hindi ko na naramdaman ang pagbuhat sa akin ni Fernan paupo sa couch.

Nakatulala lang ako sa kawalan. My mind was blank, filled with nothingness.

"Oh Athalia!" I heard mother sighed in relief and embraced me for a tight hug.

Hindi ako kumibo o nagsalita. Pakiramdam ko napagod na ako sa lahat. Masyadong mabilis ang pangyayari.

She cupped my face to check if I am okay. "I'm fine." mahinang boses na sabi ko at nanghihinang tumayo palabas ng kwarto.

Then I just found myself sitting on the bench in the open garden of the hospital.

The sun setting on the peaceful horizon.

Sunsets remind me of you, Eulalia.

The sun setting down, casting its rich glow across the sky and bathing the surroundings in its warmth, was a scene that reminded me of my dear Eulalia.

"I've missed you, already." mahinang bulong ko sa sarili.