005

DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE

She slowed her pace as she approached the bridge, her mind already a storm of thoughts and conflicting emotions. 

The bridge was empty, other than for one figure leaning against the railing, staring out at the view. 

Her heart clenched as she recognized him - the same stranger.

She paused for a moment, debating whether to approach him or not. She could just cross the bridge and continue on her way, pretend like she didn't see him. But something in her was drawn to him, like a moth to a flame.

She took a deep breath and steeled herself before walking over to him. He must have heard her footsteps, but he didn't turn around. He just stood there, his shoulders slumped slightly, his hands clenched around the railing.

"You're here," she said, her voice soft. 

He turned to face her, his eyes meeting hers in a way that made her heart skip a beat. He looked different than he did on the rainy day - more weary, more world-weary. But his eyes were still the same, still full of that same intensity that had made her shiver.

He didn't say anything, just studied her for a moment, his gaze travelling over her face as if trying to memorize her features. It made her fidget under his scrutiny, making her feel like he could see right through her.

Finally, he spoke, his voice a low murmur that sent shivers down her spine. 

"I thought you wouldn't come today."

Jennie bristled at the words. "I didn't come here for you," she said, her voice sharp. 

He didn't reply, just raised an eyebrow at her tone. It irritated her, how he seemed to be so unruffled while her heart was racing in her chest.

She took a few steps closer to where he was standing, her hands clenching and unclenching nervously by her sides. 

She could smell him now, the same scent of rain and earth and something distinctly male. It was even more intoxicating than she remembered.

"Why did you want me to come?" she asked, her voice slightly breathless. 

He didn't answer her, just held her gaze with those same intense eyes. The silence between them stretched on, the only sound the gentle ripple of the water below them and the distant sound of traffic.

She shifted uncomfortably, the silence making her feel like she was on uneven ground. She was used to being in control, but this man had a way of throwing her off balance, and it was both exhilarating and terrifying.

She broke the silence first, unable to bear the weight of his stare any longer. "Aren't you going to say anything?" she demanded, her voice a little shaky.