Part 08

**

"So, how's the second week as VP going?" Hoseok asks his cousin from across the table of their favorite Japanese restaurant during their Friday lunch. "Worse than the first?"

Jungkook, not keen on answering truthfully, merely shrugs.

"Well, I can bet you though that ___ is definitely having it worse than last week."

"Did she say anything? About me specifically?" Jungkook asks, his curious eyes telling Hoseok that it's more of concern than anger.

"Of course not. She's there to protect you, Kook, not tell on you. Is there something to say? About you specifically?"

Jungkook knows how well his cousin can read people, especially him. They'd grown up together after all, and had gotten close because the older man always stayed next to him, knowing how shy little Jungkook used to be. So he narrates what happened - that he'd gotten angry, that he was being too strict, that he wasn't leaving you room for adjustment. He'd of course excluded his own oversight and need to establish distance and authority, chalking it up to not having the familiarity and conveniences he'd been used to back in Singapore.

"I feel like working with father even closer now, it's like I'm under a microscope," Jungkook continues. "I don't wanna mess up. I just don't wanna give him a reason to criticize or question me."

"Well, if he learns about how it's been with ___, he'll do exactly those things," Hoseok responds. "He cares about his people, you know? I'm sure that's the one thing he wants you to do right."

"Can't say I'd know. It's not like he's any more compassionate than I am. We're talking about a man who yells at the managers who can't get things done right."

"They were abusing their power, that's why," Hoseok explains. "And I'm not here to defend the man - I've been on the receiving end of his anger twice and saw how he'd push people to their near breaking point a few times but he's not a terrible person. I've seen him be understanding and caring to his staff way more; you just haven't been around that much."

"It's not what I saw growing up."

"Well, we remember what we want, and forget the parts that don't make sense to us."

Jungkook stays silent as he munches on his steak.

"He wants to get closer to you, you know?" Hoseok continues. "He hopes that with you being around, he can mentor you, learn from you. All those years that you were home, you felt so far away from him, farther away than Jeong-sik who wasn't even here, and he doesn't know why."

"He can't expect to be a rich, ambitious businessman and be close to his son," Jungkook huffs. "All he ever cared about when I was growing up was work. Sure, he had rare good moments, but we all know it was to compensate for always being too busy. He pressured me to do well at school then missed awarding ceremonies. He scheduled some family time then left me and my brother in some cabin in the woods by ourselves. He wants to work with me here then disallows my requests. What does he want from me?"

"Your time, I suppose. Maybe your understanding, too."

"Did he give those to me when I was younger? He had so many chances these past 30 years and he wants those now?"

"People are complicated, Kook. Sometimes they lose sight of what's important, of what's in front of them... doesn't mean they're bad people," Hoseok says. "And it doesn't mean they don't deserve a second chance. I mean, don't we all want that? Don't we all grow out of our bad habits and just yearn for something good?"

"Not everyone does that."

"Maybe not, but your father has. And he just wants another chance. And whether or not it was her fault, I'm sure ___ wants that, too."