Part 13

**

The conversation with Hajoon stays in your mind all night and lasts until the next day. You're in Jungkook's penthouse the next morning, preparing his breakfast while he takes a shower.

With your phone snug under your neck, you relay to Soomin what happened yesterday. She was too busy last night for a call and she's been bugging you since you got in the car - that you continue to ride as per your boss' instructions - so you finally picked up, knowing how long it usually takes for Jungkook to finish.

"It started with him apologizing, then wondering why I haven't been picking up his calls, then justifying his actions from last Saturday as him, standing up for me," you narrate. "Obviously, I didn't take those too kindly. But he said he wanted to be with me, like, have an actual relationship. And I said I didn't want to then he just... he kinda just said everything he's been keeping in."

"Which is what?" Soomin asks.

"That I'm selfish, that I don't think about what my actions may mean to others, which is silly since I was clear from the start about what I wanted from him," you sigh. "He said that I act independent but that's just a front, that deep down I'm a lonely woman who'll probably push away every person who's shown me they care until I have no one left and that's why I'll be alone forever, which he says is a deep fear that I have because I apparently told him that when I was drunk. And even after all that, he said he still cares about me, that he wants to try to be something for real this time, that if I just let him, he'll love me right and make me happy and I just backed away, like, why would you—"

The clearing of the throat cuts you off, and you nearly drop the expensive plate due to panic once you look up and see Jungkook standing by the kitchen.

"I'm so sorry for taking a personal call, Mr. Jeon," you say immediately, putting away your phone. "It won't happen again."

You bow your head down in apology, which is why you don't see the way Jungkook's eyes soften as he looks at you. Words like that hurt, and he can't imagine what it must've felt like for you hearing them. Still, you went about yesterday with your accomplished tasks and completed deliverables like it didn't happen, displaying a kind of strength that he could only hope to have.

"Yesterday was a tough, I suppose," he states, choosing to ignore your apology.

"It was a normal one," you brush off, walking towards him to fix his tie, not meeting his gaze.

Jungkook doesn't reply, knowing you don't want to acknowledge that he'd overheard your conversation, which he didn't mean to walk in on. It did bother him, too; he suddenly wishes he'd fought back if that man was just going to speak to you that way.

There's a sadness in your eyes that he tries not to mind and which you try to trivialize. Perhaps the man matters that much to you for you to be feeling this bad; Jungkook doesn't really know what to do with that thought. So he tries to brush it off, too, telling you instead to be ready for today's meeting with his father.

You ask if he's checked the presentation you worked on, as you added things from the last time. He nods and says he only added minimal details that he came up with last night, and you check to find that he indeed just made minute changes, another thing that you're thankful for yet wary of, especially given how critical he was about your work in the beginning.

You continue with your morning routine of debriefing about yesterday's meetings, then you finalize the Arts Center event's menu in the car. When you arrive at the office, you wait patiently as he goes through some reports that you've checked, then he reviews some memos that he asked you to work on.

The last one finishes faster than you expected. It seems now that his comments are what you look for, only because it reminds you that he hasn't changed; somehow that seems like a better thought to have than him suddenly being lenient or lowering his standards for you for some unknown reason. He's definitely witnessed some of your low moments; you don't want to think those have anything to do with how he's been lately.