Part 29

**

Mr. Ri happily greets you as you enter the car that late Saturday afternoon to head to Jungkook's penthouse. He compliments your dress, saying it's nice to see you in something formal that fits your style - it's simple yet elegant, and you tell him that your mother wouldn't stop gushing over you through the screen, nagging you to send full-body photos so she could appreciate you more.

Jimin and Soomin surprised you in the morning to help you fix up, insisting that they wanted to make sure you spoiled yourself for the event. If you wouldn't, they would, so they treated you to the hair salon and had your nails done. They're the ones who took so many photos like some formal dance, and Jimin commented that the only downside was that they were sending you off to pick up Jungkook.

Defending your boss the way you did surprised you a little; it surprised them a lot more. You'd said that he bought you the dress, that he's been nothing but kind, and that whatever negative feelings you had towards him are all in the past. Your friends understood, deciding not to ruin your night and then letting you go so they could eat out and meet you back at your apartment once you're done.

You chat with Mr. Ri about how things have been at work, your friends, and your family. You also talk about the gala and how it feels a little nerve-racking attending this time, given your experience with Jungkook.

It's a grand event that the company's executives attend, and guests are asked to refrain from going solo. For such requests, it's not unusual for them to bring their assistants. You're expected to attend anyway, and assistants usually partner up with each other and it always worked. You went with Hoseok last year because A-yeong had a work event, and while you expected that Jungkook wouldn't care for such request and maintain that he'd go by himself, you also didn't think that CEO Jeon would insist that his son take you as his date so he wouldn't be alone.

The elder Jeon had reasoned that business discussions usually take place during the gala, and it would be good for you to be around and be familiar with the new people on the scene. Hoseok had said that they're expected to stay through the whole thing, and it's much better for his cousin to have a companion so he could survive the night. That was months ago when things were still a little shaky for you both. You still remember Jungkook's displeased look when it seemed like he had no choice in the matter, especially since he probably thought that his father just wanted to make sure he'd act accordingly. It feels like a lifetime ago, really, as you think about his soft smile from last night.

You don't know exactly what you're feeling, why his gestures or mannerisms suddenly mean something to you, or why there's excitement when you think about seeing him outside of work. You're unsure why the curve of his lips when he grins or the deep huff that follows his laugh makes you a little giddy, or why his eyes lingering on you makes your heart beat a little faster than usual.

Just like right now, as they gaze at you while you seemingly do the same.

"You look, uh—" he starts, unable to find the accurate but appropriate term to describe how you look.

"Nice?" You finish, recalling the term he'd used when you tried this gown for the first time.

"Something like that," he chuckles, earning him a giggle from you.

He playfully shakes his head, perhaps knowing that you're used to him not making grand compliments or anything. But he does smile after, and there goes that blissful feeling again.

Maybe it's because for the first time, you're being appreciated. Maybe just like how it's been recently, he likes being around you, prefers it, even. And given how you felt so unwanted during his first few weeks here, this is a blessing, as if in his appreciation of you, you're liking yourself as well.