Part 64

She definitely has your smile. It's welcoming and assuring and perhaps the one thing he didn't know he needed before seeing you. There's so much comfort in her eyes, and there's this subtle strength that she exudes, one that's oddly giving him the courage to face you.

"Mrs. Cho," he bows. "It's nice to finally meet you. I wish it was because of other reasons, though."

"What's wrong about the reason you have today?" She wonders.

"A lot of things," he sighs.

"Nonsense. You're here. That's all that matters," she smiles. "Would you like to come in?"

"That would be great."

Jungkook follows inside while Mr. Ri opts to stay behind.

There's something special about entering someone's house. People spend time and energy to make it feel like home, to make it be a place of safety and warmth. It's a place filled with all the things they care about, of all the things they love.

Jungkook never designed the places he's lived in; an irony, considering his profession. But his residences have always been a place for him to just move into, to just sleep and eat and work at. They've always been... empty - grand, expensive, well-designed, but empty. They're superficial, he would say, a reflection of what he's always felt. Which is also why he never really welcomes anyone other than his friends. The women he used to bring home don't count - he'd let them in and make them leave; he never makes them stay long enough to be comfortable, to feel like they belong there. Sometimes he doesn't feel like he belongs there, either, as if it's a place reserved just for him to feel alone in.

And so being welcomed in someone else's home feels different. You'd done it to him, and being in your apartment both times made him feel at ease and familiar. Now, your mother welcomes him to the place where you grew up and it feels the same - there's that comfort, that sense of nostalgia, even if he knows he's never been here before.

"Welcome to our humble mansion," your mother says. "Please, feel at home. Would you like some tea?"

"Uh, yes. Tea is fine," he bows.

She heads to the kitchen and Jungkook is left to look around. It's not a small house but it's not large, either. He's in the middle of a spacious living room, with shelves lining up the walls - one has family pictures in it, the other one has books and small framed paintings. The dining and kitchen are to the right; on the left is a hallway that seems to lead towards the bedrooms. There's a screened door that also leads out the backyard.

The entire space is airy, with lots of natural light coming through the windows. He spots some renovations done over time, as there's some mismatch of materials, something only trained eyes could see. But they're done well, and he could see the love that created this home for all of you.

Your mother returns with two cups and places them on the table. She asks him to sit down, and Jungkook makes himself comfortable, facing the door as he gazes out at the sky and admires the beautiful changing of the colors. He knows you'd probably admire how it looks, too.

She observes him - nervous as he meets her eyes, a kind of desperation and fear evident as he constantly shifts on his seat. He's grown up so much, but he's still that shy little boy she remembers meeting all those years ago. She used to regularly go to the Jeon estate for some private events, and she won't forget how Jungkook was the son who always kept to himself, content with a sketchpad and some crayons or riding the swing in his custom-built playground.

"Do you remember me at all?" She wonders.

"No," he shakes his head. "Did I see you often?"

"A handful of times," she responds. "Your father introduced me to you and your brother when I first started and I'd see you whenever I had to go to your house. But you were always so shy."