Part 75

**

You're a little disoriented when you wake up in your bed the next morning. It's not soft sheets that you bury yourself into this time, but then again, the body soreness is quite familiar. It's something you don't mind though, not when you know the reason why.

It's only been a few days but Jungkook just seems to know your body. He seems to really like it, too, with the way he takes his time kissing it, caressing it, and praising it. He knows just how to work his tongue on your most sensitive parts to make you reach your peak. He knows just how much strength to exert, or how deep he should go in what angle, and when to increase his pace or slow down. He knows just what to say, vulgar or otherwise, or when to look at you tenderly or as if he'll devour you, or when to grip you tightly and when to hold you softly.

And he'd done all of that last night. While your tiny couch could only make you do so much, you both still knew what to do whether you were on top of him, on your knees, or under him.

It was definitely a good way to say goodbye, and he would've gone another round if it wasn't for you convincing him that he had to go home so he could pack his things and be ready for an early trip. You don't want him to be too tired then oversleep, and you're glad that he didn't.

You check your phone and see that he messaged you at 7:15 to say that he and Mr. Ri have already left and are on their way to Incheon. He'll attend a meeting and then appear at an event before they take the long drive to Busan for another event where he'll present the Arts Center and make a speech. He'll spend the night there before an early morning flight to Tokyo. It's the first of many post-opening promotions he'll be doing, and you know there'll be more of these business trips that you'll have to get used to.

But you don't mind being alone this time, not when you have your own preparations and rest to do, and not when you know that you'll be hearing from him at the end of the day. There's the weekend you'll be looking forward to with him.

Your mom had reminded you during a brief call yesterday about making sure you preserve your independence and identity, and you tell her that you always had.

"Yes, because those relationships were different," she said of your exes. "You did that because you didn't want to share much of yourself with them. But with Jungkook, you are, and it's also the first time. Just... make sure to hold onto the things that made you happy before him, and he should, too," she advises. "Share them, but don't forget them. Don't lose what makes you, you."

It's wisdom from someone who'd gone through relationships herself, who'd loved and lost and loved again. And it's a good reminder.

This is all new to you, and you suppose it's easy to fall into this trap of dependence with your partner, of the honeymoon stage and the giddy, euphoric parts of romance. At the end of the day, Jungkook still has duties and you have a new path to take on. You'll both have days of being too busy, too tired, maybe a bit frustrated, too. You'll need to ground yourself in other ways and like your mom had said, not depend on the other person to always make things better, even if most days they could.

It's the same thing that your next-door neighbor tells you when you decide to have lunch with her after she lures you with some grilled fish. She tells you about the encounter with Jungkook and you narrate how you got together. It may all seem too much, too soon and now that you're apart from him, maybe it is. Maybe it's also just all the emotions you both kept in finally being expressed.

And you think that maybe it's also good that you have this time for yourself to remind you of all the other things you enjoy in life. Now you don't have to treat them as substitutes for what you really desire because you already have that connection and intimacy you've been yearning for. You get to truly feel the joy of immersing yourself in your interests, and you suppose that's one way to not lose yourself.

So you go back home and tend to your plants. You go to the theater and watch a local film and not feel like you're escaping your life or anything this time. You bake cookies after your chicken in broth dinner because it's something you've always wanted to try.

You share all these things with Jungkook later that evening while you're on a video call with him, including what your mom and neighbor had said.

"I was a little down that you'll be away but now I... I'm thinking I shouldn't be," you say. "I'll always miss and think about you but I don't want to feel like I miss myself when I'm with you. Am I making any sense?"

"You are," he smiles on the screen. "It's the same reason why you didn't want me to miss my meeting with my father and cousin yesterday. I still have a role. Now that I'm with you, I feel like I'll stop feeling like that weighs me down. It used to because all I was was tied to that title. I didn't feel like I was anything else."

You think about his words and how resigning felt liberating for you. Beyond feeling indebted, it's clear to you that you felt stuck because it's all you knew to do; being an assistant was all you knew how to be. It wasn't just the stress or the pressure because you know every job you take will have those. In fact, you look forward to it in your new position. You realize that you like working, you like the hustle, you like the grind. But if it's all you do, you lose the joy.

Now, you have a hand to hold and a warm body to wake up to. You have someone to share your days and joys and frustrations with. You have someone to laugh with and cry to. And so days on your own feel like much-needed time to enjoy things you prefer doing by yourself. And work could feel more challenging in a good way, pushing you to be better and seeing what else you could accomplish. Somehow, being with Jungkook makes you feel like there's so much more you could do because at the end of the day, there's someone to celebrate with, to share your thoughts with; there's someone to cheer you on and support you.

You tell him all this and he seems to reflect on it as well.

"The councils were very impressed with the Arts Center," he says after a while. "They said it's a good complement to their efforts of promoting local artists because of the opportunities for exhibitions. At that moment, I felt proud of what we've done. And it reminded me of why I wanted to focus on this aspect of the job. I always told my parents that I wanted to be responsible for the creative side of the company and I am but it felt so heavy even if I asked for it. I don't have to carry that pressure with me all the time. I get to take a break from it when I'm with you and I think that's made me enjoy it more."

It's a realization Jungkook had on the way home after that dinner meeting with a local artist in Busan. She talked about envisioning her pieces displayed in a space like the Arts Center and he felt that joy of being able to create something for others to be a part of. Structures are beautiful on their own, but then the meaning deepens because of what they mean for users; the sense of fulfillment is different. He supposes that he's able to appreciate that part of the job even more now.

"That's good for us, then," you hum, as you slowly succumb to sleep. "I have quite the day tomorrow and so do you. Rest now, Jungkook. And I'll talk to you again."

He says goodbye with such softness in his eyes. You miss him, but you're happy that he's able to experience all this on his own, too. Hearing him talk about it is different than witnessing it yourself and that's perhaps the joy in being with someone. It's not just about experiencing what they experience; it's also about being on the receiving end when they try to make sense of it.

Maybe that's what partnership is about, and you can't imagine sharing all this to anyone else but him. And that's the difference this time. This is a person you admire and who admires you back. He's someone you could trust and feel safe enough to be your true self with, and after tonight's conversation, you feel like you're that same person for him.

**