Part 36

##

Seeing you standing in his kitchen donned in that pastel-colored blouse makes Jungkook stop in his tracks; you're exactly who he needs to wake him up.

It's been weeks of vacation, which also means weeks without his usual routine. It's striking how being absorbed in his work has altered him in that sense - he looks for the stress, for the long hours, for the isolation that's demanded of his job. Perhaps there was just really nothing to look forward to, and work was an excuse for all those things because there wasn't much else going for him. Ironic, considering everything he can do with what he has, yet nothing seems to be what he's looking for, even if deep down, he knows what it is.

This is something that Hoseok and A-yeong made him realize during the trip as he watched them gush about the pretty streets and marvel at the fjords and immerse themselves in the view of the northern lights.

His cousin, the President of the company who makes decisive decisions and conducts press conferences and signs off on billion won projects, is the same man who squealed during a husky ride in Finland, laughed his butt off when he slipped on a glacier, and muttered words of love to his wife as they all watched the bright evening sky over the lake in Norway. There was so much passion in him, something A-yeong mirrored, whether it was about work or his relationships or just about everything in life. Hoseok looked forward to that trip, to that time with his wife, to that break, to seeing the scenery and feeling peace.

While Jungkook found himself constantly thinking about the Arts Center and upcoming projects and new design ideas... and the one person who connected him to all those - you. It felt like he was rushing towards something because the achievement was the goal, and while he stopped by the mountains and marveled at the water as he sat on the cliffs, his mind was racing, chasing something that he couldn't even grasp.

That's how the past six years have been. Perhaps more, he thinks. Maybe 20. He's never allowed himself to just be. Quite frankly, he doesn't know who he is outside of what he does; he doesn't know much of how he is outside of being an executive and heir, and so during the moments when he isn't functioning as such, he's a bit lost, just existing in a place he's visiting, not knowing how to interact, how to breathe; not knowing how to connect or to be free.

You're the bright spot amidst it all. With you around, he still seems to be wandering while stuck in a certain spot, but he's not alone because you're there. With you around, there's a sense of calmness somehow, with your smile and your presence warming the coldest parts of him that he's left untouched and unfeeling for years.

So when he walks towards you, his eyes fully opening now to see you better, he hums in satisfaction.

"It's nice to see you again," he says, prompting you to turn around. "It feels like it's been so long."

"Really, Mr. Jeon? I thought the three weeks felt fast," you giggle. "But it's nice to see you, too. Were you able to rest out there?"

"Somehow," he replies, taking the glass of water you give him.

"Is that why you passed on your morning workout to sleep in?" You raise an eyebrow, thinking that he'd slept in when you walked into his penthouse earlier without the usual sounds from the gym that you'd gotten used to.

"I was pretty jet lagged," he groans. "Couldn't sleep so I did it last night to tire myself out and then I finally fell asleep three hours ago. It's a miracle I woke up after the tenth snooze of my alarm."

"Ooh, that is not good, considering all the documents on your desks and messages on your inbox," you shake your head. "What if I move the team meeting to tomorrow so you don't push yourself too hard today? You could've taken the day off."