Part 65

**

You lay on your mother's lap, needing the comfort you always felt whenever she held you close and ran her fingers through your hair. It's something she always did when you were a child, and she knows that despite having grown up, you need it now just as much as you did before. She doesn't say much, letting the silence of your bedroom envelope the both of you this Thursday evening.

It's been a roller coaster of emotions this past week, and today pretty much took you on a deep plunge that has you holding onto your chest and wanting the stability of being on the ground. After you left that letter on Jungkook's desk last Thursday, you stayed in your apartment and waited for days.

In hindsight, maybe it was silly that you stayed put when you could've called or gone back to his office in an attempt to talk to him. But you weren't sure what he was feeling, if he was harboring resentment for how you chose to leave, or if he was too busy with the Arts Center opening to even think about you. He kept himself busy during your last weeks after all, and he missed your farewell dinner, too.

That letter was your way of expressing yourself without the fear of outright rejection. And giving him that decision to find you was your way of telling him that it was his call, that if he still wanted you, you'd be waiting for him. And that's what you did, day in and day out - you waited for that knock on the door or for the ring of your phone.

It drove you crazy, thinking that you could be with him already, but the possibility of him also deciding that that's no longer what he wanted plagued your mind; it's what kept you from making that call or paying him a visit. There was that part of you that couldn't help but think that he might've wanted things to just remain as they are. It made you realize that despite taking that step of being brave, there was still fear within you that held you back.

The hope dwindled by the weekend despite the comforting conversation you had with your neighbor, and on Tuesday afternoon, the sadness took over. You packed your bags and decided that if you were to get over this, being with your family is where you need to be. You knew your mother would convince you to wait for Jungkook a little longer. She'd be the reasonable one and say that maybe he'd missed the letter. And she may be right, but if you were to pursue him again, you knew you needed to be around people you loved to give you back that strength and confidence.

It turns out, your mother was right. Jungkook did miss the letter. It took him days to see it, and he didn't waste his time and went to find you right away. Perhaps that certainty that you've been needing is what turns out to be the one that overwhelms you in the end. You walked out of your room to find him in your living room, and you froze. You stayed rooted in that hallway, listening to him talk about what he felt for you, and all you could do was hug your knees as you sat on the floor, taking his words in, hoping they'd heal your heart as quickly as his silence broke it.

"Do you think he knew I was there?" You look up to your mother in question.

"I think he did," she hums. "I doubt he would've said as much as he did to me, someone he's just met, unless he knew you could hear him. He had this look on his eyes - it was sad and sincere, full of regret but also of hope. And it just felt like was baring himself right there, hoping you'd know exactly what he felt."

You think about it. Knowing Jungkook, he wouldn't have let himself be that vulnerable to someone that easily, even if it was in front of your mother. He's not always able to express himself to you, and maybe that's why. Maybe like you, he loses his words and caves in in front of the person he wants. It's happened so many times to you, and it's one reason you chose a letter to express your feelings; saying it to him directly with all the uncertainties just terrified you.

But he'd been bold, he'd been honest. And you got to hear his every word, and you believed all of it.

"Why didn't you want to see him?" she asks, given that you'd shaken your head when she looked at you after he'd asked if you were around. "What were you so afraid of?"

"I don't know," you sigh. "It felt so long being without him, and I was holding onto this hope after leaving that letter and then the wait just... it discouraged me. Somehow seeing him there paralyzed me a little," you explain. "Suddenly I wasn't ready. I had all these feelings that were hanging in the air and to hear that he returned all those was just... I... I was overwhelmed because he was finally within reach."

"Both of you are in this constant push and pull that's keeping you from each other," she points out. "At some point, you'll have to just get over the fear and meet him where he is and he'll have to do the same. No one wins in fear, darling. Weren't you the one who told me I owed it to myself to give Min-woo a chance? You're the one who said it was better to be scared with him next to me than to be scared alone."

"Easy to say that when I'm on the outside, it seems," you chuckle. "I get what you were feeling then, mom, and I understand now how hard it must've been."

"That's true, so you're gonna have to trust me that what you said was true - it was better that I was scared with him next to me than if I was alone," she repeats. "But I made that choice and it was the best one, because I can't be any happier than I am now because I let him love me, and I allowed myself to love him. You and Jungkook could do that. You just have to trust that it's all worth it."

You nod. At the end of the day, you know it makes a difference that it's your mother reminding you all of this. It's her pain that you carried, it's why you were always scared of opening up and sharing your whole self to another person. And it's also why it matters that it's her happiness that she reminds you of that pushes you to get over your fear, or at least, to choose to be with Jungkook in spite of it.

She tucks you in bed and tells you to get some sleep now. It'll be a busy day tomorrow, she says, as you have to make that long trip back to Seoul in time for the Arts Center opening.

"As your mother, I'm kicking you out of my house," she teases. "You are to head out there and tell that man how you really feel, okay? I won't allow you back here until he's with you."

"That's unfair," you pout.

"It is, but so is keeping yourself away from him," she shakes her head. "You take after me so much. Stop being stubborn."

You laugh this time, knowing that while it's that stubbornness that pushed Jungkook to open up to you, it's that same trait that's keeping you away from him.

"I will. And I'll head out tomorrow," you promise. "I'm so tired of being sad."

"Good. No one gets tired from being happy, so that's what you should try to be."

**