Part 60

**

You spend the entirety of Tuesday orienting Lucas about your spreadsheets and other files, and you both come up with a system that suits his style of work. Jungkook was out the whole day, and though you suppress the feeling of missing him, it's one that haunts you until you lay in your bed that night.

You take the rest of the week off. You spend Wednesday cleaning your apartment and then having dinner with the elderly couple next door who amuse you with their love story and memories of their youth.

You meet Namjoon on Thursday for that official interview he's been waiting for. You can't help but envision yourself in the office with the dynamism of the teams and the laid-back feel of the entire space. You'd commit yourself right then and there if it didn't make you look that desperate, but it's Namjoon who encourages you to go to the other interviews you have lined up.

It's a risk, he says; he might lose you if another more appealing company states their case. But he wants you to choose them without regrets; he wants you to choose them because you've seen what's out there and decided that they're who you want and who you see yourself being happy in. You don't miss his slightly nervous face when you agree, but you suppose that if you're going to do this now, might as well do it right.

You go to two other interviews that Friday, and while trying out events management was always in the back of your mind, it's nice to see just how the job and the tasks excite you.

It's the first time you're feeling like you actually have options. Back then, even if there were other opportunities, you chose working for the Jeons because of a debt you felt you had to pay. You limited your own choices, but now, you feel what it's like to take control of your own life, and it's liberating to not have any baggage with you this time around.

Jimin and Soomin pay you a visit that weekend. They drive you around, thinking that the beauty of spring would inspire you even more. It's fitting, they say, as you start a new phase in your life while the flowers bloom and greet you. But as you pass by a park and see the colors of the sky and buy some convenience store snacks on the way home, you can't help but think of Jungkook.

Missing him feels a little odd. You didn't know what it felt like until his trip at the end of last year, but you always knew he was gonna come back. This time, you're unsure of when you'll see him again. You spent time with him in a work environment, so being away from him and doing everyday things shouldn't even affect you this much. But you suppose it's the idea of what could have been that you miss, even if you don't really know what that's like.

You spend Monday and Tuesday the next week the same way. There's just one executive meeting each day that you attend to assess how Lucas manages it, but other than that, you barely see Jungkook in the office. He stays in his room all morning then heads out in the afternoon, and you leave before he could even make it back. It reminds you that you truly left him at a critical time. You don't know if he's eating well, if he's getting proper rest, if he's tending a bruised knuckle or dealing with a headache. You don't know if the stress is getting to him, if the anxiety is slowly building up, or if it's just excitement he feels and that he can't wait for everything to come together.

You hope for his sake, it's the latter. You want nothing more than to assure him that things will turn out the way he wants, that the intended audience will love the Arts Center, and that he's already achieved so much with just this. You hope he's proud of himself the way you are, and that he knows that if there's anything he leaves you with, it's your own pride that you got to be part of something beautiful, and it's that search for connection and intimacy and meaning that got you yearning for those things, too.

You take the rest of the week off again. You run errands one day, go to an interview the next, and then walk around town the day after. It feels like you're back to that state of being alone but not feeling lonely; there's just that added sense of freedom this time.