Part 55

##

There's a kind of pain you don't want to experience, one of a broken heart caused by someone you've given your all to. This doesn't feel like that, but it's close.

It's so damn close that you feel your chest tightening, the unfamiliar feeling of loss of a person you never even had overwhelming you. You press your palms on your ears to block the sound of your heart breaking, but even that doesn't do anything.

You let go, your fingers now shaking as you type away. Jungkook has asked you to send him your resignation letter so he can forward it to HR for documentation. It's like saying goodbye to him all over again, and it doesn't hurt any less.

This is all on you though, you remind yourself. Wanting him was wrong in the first place - he's your boss, the man who pays you, who needs you so he could do his job, so you could make his life easier. But he's also the son of the man that your family is indebted to; a man who, in a lot of ways, shaped the way you approach life and determine what you want out of it. Jungkook stands as a reminder of who you are and where you came from, of the childhood you had, and the decisions you made to get to where you are now. You let your guard down and let him in, and you let yourself fall for a man whose own past was always going to intertwine with yours.

You don't know what you were thinking, kissing him and believing that things would fall into place. That was the thing - he kissed you and you kissed him back, a moment of weakness that you had no business having, as if almost doing it the first time wasn't bad enough. You planned on leaving, and you hoped that you'd get to tell him on your own terms, that you'd have time to process your feelings and then explain yourself to him, that you'd be able to process his feelings and see the sincerity in them.

But life doesn't always play out the way you want to, and you can keep thinking that people would react the way you hope they would but you're human. You fell into his touch and wanted so much of it that you couldn't think properly. He asked you to stay - expected it actually, which is the last thing you wanted him to do.

And now you're left here with a lot of emotions that you don't know what to do with - all conflicting, all overwhelming, and all seemingly out of your control.

You can't deny what you feel for Jungkook. The thought that he feels the same should be something you welcome, but with how you both learned about it, and with him now knowing the secret you've been keeping, it's hard to think how you both could move forward without those feelings of doubt, perhaps of distrust. You know enough that those aren't good starting points for any relationship.

You're doing what you have to do. Resigning was always the plan, but doing it this way wasn't. You also didn't expect you'd be leaving so much more than just a team you enjoy being a part of and a boss you've come to admire, a man who's come to mean a lot of things to you.

And so even if this is the decision you'll make every single time, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt you to be making it. Perhaps it's now just dawning on you that you're truly walking away from this job, and that may mean walking away from, too. This is when you realize just how big that loss is gonna be.

Jungkook made you braver. He made you feel understood and less alone. He showed you that beautiful things do exist, that you can capture them so you could hold onto the good memories, and doing that is one way to move on from the things that hurt.

Without realizing it, he'd become the person you were willing to crawl out of your walls for. But just like him, maybe your timing wasn't right either. No matter how strong the feelings are, something just happens to be more important than being with him - feeling free is one, knowing that you're able to do this for yourself is another. There's wanting sincerity, too, on his end and on yours.