Part 52

**

Walking down the block to get to the bus stop feels like a marathon, as the street feels so long with the heavy burden you're carrying weighing you down too much. But you manage to get there, only to decide that you'd much rather spend the ride home on your own. You turn to a street to hail a cab then realize once you get in one that it was the spot where Jungkook had seen you, drenched under the rain with a sprained ankle.

He healed parts of you that night, with his quiet assurance that you didn't have to go through your struggles on your own. You'd hold on to that thought months later, though you're unsure about now - much as things hurt at this moment, all you want is to be alone.

You get off two stops early and mindlessly walk towards the convenience store, thinking that some snacks for dinner would do. You don't really feel like eating but your body's needs are greater than your own desire to eat. Walking down the aisles, you decide you're only good for some cup noodles tonight. You don't even deserve boiled eggs that you suddenly craved, nor honey chips, and you definitely don't deserve dessert after what you allowed to happen earlier.

You stop your movements once you realize you're sitting on the same spot where you and Jungkook had eaten when he drove you home that night he took you to the park. It had been a terrible evening after that incident with your ex, but Jungkook was the protective one who helped shoulder all the anger that you were too exhausted to feel. He was a reliable and comforting presence, familiar yet new with his warmth. During the occasional moments in the weekend after when your mind would go to that night, you'd think of Jungkook and how he made you feel safe.

It feels too much, so you take your noodles and finish them on the bench outside. You walk home after, letting the crisp evening air envelop you as your mind replays what happened.

You don't think you've ever wanted to feel someone the way you wanted to feel him, but you suppose that's why it hurts as much as it does. You wanted him to want you as much as you did, and you were perhaps foolish to think he'd have the same reasons as you. Maybe you were really just stupid for feeling anything in the first place, knowing your place in his world. You're everything convenient and easy and familiar and despite the week of walking on eggshells around him, you gave in so quickly. He knew what to do when it came to you.

And maybe that's on you. You allowed yourself to feel so much for a man whose life is so intertwined with yours that it's hard to know what's real. Yet you know that despite all that, your desire for him is still too strong. It's why you had to leave right away.

Another moment of him pleading for you to not resign and you might've given in again. Another second of hearing him ask you to be with him and you would've believed him - that there was sincerity in all that, that he'd be with you regardless if you stayed in the company or not. Now you're left with the thought that the convenience was what he wanted, that as he crossed the line, it was all or nothing for him. And that you'd be the weak one, willing to give up what else you could be outside of all this just for him.

Perhaps you're also asking for too much. He's used to a life without much consequences to his actions. There's a lot he doesn't know, especially what you had to endure and give up to be here and what you want out of life now that you're old enough to take control of it. Maybe for him, asking you to stay was that declaration and proof of his feelings; doing so took so much out of him already that thinking of what life would be like without being with you everyday was too hard of a reality to accept or work around.

You're too out of it that you don't realize that you've been standing outside your door. You're thankful for the weekend at least. You'll spend half of it in bed, and the other half preparing yourself for how you'll face him again, and how you'll finally say goodbye.