Part 53

**

Hoseok massages his temple as his sixth call to his cousin in the last half hour remains unanswered.

"He's still not picking up," he groans, the unusual feeling of annoyance bubbling inside him at Jungkook's irresponsibility.

It's Saturday morning and some friends of their family flew from Europe last night for lunch at the Jeons' estate. This gathering was scheduled in time for their grandfather's death anniversary today, and it's an event that Mr. Jeon was adamant that Jungkook and Hoseok attend as their respective families' representatives and as heirs of the company. Those friends had been there when their grandfather built Jeon Corporation from the ground up, and welcoming them is a sign of respect for that friendship and for the memory of the man they're celebrating today.

Jungkook had informed Mr. Ri that he'll be driving himself to the estate and promised to be there before 11 AM, as what his father had requested. It's half past that and he's still nowhere to be found. He hasn't been picking up his phone and his friends claim they don't know where he is. Knowing how important today is, Hoseok wanted to accompany Mr. Ri in going to the younger man's apartment to pick him up and find out why he's late. When the elder Jeon asks, which he will, Hoseok would at least have a reason to give. It just better be a good one.

They both arrive at the building and are informed that Jungkook's cars are still in their respective slots. He's not in any of the amenities and the guards report that they haven't seen him since he arrived on his own last night. He may not be a fan of these types of events but Jungkook always shows up. He knows what today means for their family; if not for his father, then at least for his grandfather, a man he respected and looked up to. If, for some reason, he failed to wake up, then he must be in a bad condition, and Hoseok either has to scold his cousin, or cover for him.

With no one answering the door, Mr. Ri uses his access and enters. It's dark and quiet inside, with the blinds all closed. When he and Hoseok find Jungkook passed out on the couch with an empty whiskey bottle and beer cans on the floor, it's the same moment that Mr. Ri's phone rings, and it's your name that lights up the screen.

"Hi, Mr. Ri," you groggily say. "I'm sorry I missed your calls. I had a late night and just woke up. Is everything okay?"

"I'm not sure," he sighs, as he watches Hoseok pull Jungkook from his cowering form in an attempt to get him to wake up.

"What do you mean?" You ask, standing from your bed now, suddenly awake.

"I was calling to ask if you knew where Jungkook was. Their family gathering is today and he was supposed to be at his parents' house 30 minutes ago but he wasn't. He wasn't picking up our calls either."

"Oh, I... I don't know where he is," you say softly, the mention of his name reminding you of what transpired last night, the image of Jungkook's dejected look appearing in your mind. You worry about him though, wondering what time he got home. "Have you found him? Is he okay?"

"Hoseok and I are at his apartment and he's passed out drunk," Mr. Ri states, as Jungkook finally opens his eyes and mumbles some words that the older man has to walk closer to hear. "What happened last night, ___? Why is he calling your name? And why is he asking for you to come back?"

It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that Jungkook had spent last night drinking his feelings away. You know enough from your time with him that it's what he does when he's stressed or mad or frustrated, and then he wakes up the next morning and hits the gym to deal with his hangover. There's none of that today, apparently, and you stop yourself from instructing Mr. Ri to prepare him some lemon ginger tea.

"What happened last night, ___?" He repeats. "Did you fight?"

"We..." you start, knowing that if there's anyone who has to know about last night, it's the man on the other end of the phone. "We, uh... we kissed. And then he asked me not to resign then I pulled away."