Part 30

##

The end-of-autumn chilly air pierces through your skin, lingering even as you settle inside the plant store that gives the warmth that you need. You sigh in relief, and Soomin and Jimin giggle at you because they know how you are. It's why during moments like this, their affection shows, hugging you from each side as you look up at the shelf for another rubber tree you want to add to your collection.

"What are you two on about?" You ask, nonchalantly releasing your arm to get your chosen glossy plant.

"Nothing, just showing our love," Soomin says, resting her chin on your shoulder. "We know you love the cold even if you easily get cold. You don't like hugs either but you can't do anything about us."

"It's true that I can't do anything about the both of you," you hum. "But you also know it's not that I don't like hugs. It's just not my preferred form of affection."

"Even after all the years that we've been giving it to you?" Jimin asks, as he pulls away from you to place the plant in your cart.

"Yeah. I mean, if I only give or receive it every few weeks, then it wouldn't be," you respond. "But I also wouldn't really know. Other than you guys, there's not much affection I feel towards other people."

It's a reality you've long accepted. You're away from your family and friends, and the only other form of affection you receive is through sex with the few men you've been interested in - pleasurable at best, shallow at worst. Perhaps it's the reason why you do, you think now. They're still good substitutes. Being alone doesn't feel so lonely when you're intimate with people you don't exactly share moments of intimacy with. You've learned these last few years that there's a difference.

Your friends just hum in agreement, choosing now to point out that your home is transforming into some zen garden with the amount of plants you've bought just this last month.

"Should I just be a gardener or a plant store worker?" You look at them. "Or study to become a landscape designer?"

"Honey, tending to low-maintenance plants is a different thing," Soomin chuckles. "That's a start, though. But kidding aside, so a career change is what you're going for?"

"Hmm, just a thought," you shrug. "What if moving companies isn't just what I need? What if it's doing something completely different? Like being out of an office or answering to someone or something?"

"That's true. Sometimes we find what we're looking for in unfamiliar environments," Jimin chimes in. "Are you thinking about doing it soon?"

"Maybe not," you say. "I've become quite invested in the Arts Center and I really wanna see it through. Maybe after it's opened, then that's when I'll finally step away."

"Well, you have been doing a lot of work for it," Soomin agrees. "But... are you sure it's the only thing holding you back? And not someone specific? A boss, maybe?"

"The Arts Center isn't holding me back, Soo. And neither is Jungkook," you state. "After all the years I spent in the company, I don't wanna let anything or anyone keep me from doing what's best for me. I don't... I don't wanna get stuck there. I don't wanna keep feeling indebted. That's what's held me back this whole time."

"Oh, hun," Soomin sighs. "You don't owe anyone anything. And if you did, you've paid your dues, all eight years of them."

As Jimin heads out to get his car, she entangles her arm around yours and asks again if your decision to wait to resign has something to do with Jungkook.

"Why are you so insistent?" You frown at her.

"Just... wondering. You haven't expressed disdain for him in so long. Even the weekly ugh work drives me nuts messages have stopped, and that says a lot. I was just thinking that maybe he's gone soft on you, and that you've gone soft on him, too. I just wanna make sure I'm ready when you drop the bomb on us or something. I mean, you two have so much tension, who knows what'll happen?"

"Okay, what if I've just developed better coping mechanisms now and can manage without complaining about it? That's a possibility. And, even if I've been busy with organizing events and stuff, I actually enjoy that," you explain.

"Okay. So what about Jungkook?"

You look away, knowing that any acknowledgment of the comfort you've started to feel around him may start to mean something else once you say it. Admitting even the tiniest bit of attraction is even more of a no-no, so you just play it off, the same way you did when you got home from the gala and you dodged all questions about him, choosing instead to talk about the delicious food and the weird people you met.

"We've found a way to move on from how we started and learned that we actually work really well together. We have to be professional and all that."

Right, you scoff to yourself. Thinking about your boss' smile as you fall asleep is anything but professional.

"Fine, whatever you say," she gives in as the car comes into view. "Just know that I'm here, okay? Jimin's a bit protective and still hasn't gotten over how that man treated you so you can talk to me in case anything else changes."

"I will," you say, giving her hand a squeeze.

You spend the rest of that weekend watching movies and singing your hearts out at a karaoke and stuffing your faces with good food. Before you know it, you're back in your bed on a Sunday, all alone, but you don't feel so lonely, nor do you feel so terrible at having to start another week. If anything, you're wondering how Jungkook spent these last two days. At a club, maybe. He did say there's always a party he's invited to.

You stop yourself from thinking of what happens after that. He's got women at his beck and call after all, even when he's in Singapore, as Lucas had told you during your call two months ago. But it doesn't really matter - Jungkook is Jungkook and you're you. And that's not yet even considering the glaring reality of him being your boss.

Ever since the gala, you can say that there's been a change in how you've been with him. There's a lot more attention, you'd say. There's more admiration, too, when it comes to him doing his work, making decisions, and drawing up plans and designs.

You understand the distance and the detachment somehow. You suppose that whatever he experienced made him that way, so you'd make an effort into making him smile, teasing him a little more than usual so there's a bit more joy in his day. You can say he's gotten used to it. Even Mr. Ri would laugh and join in.

And that's the thing - you anticipate it. You look forward to the curl of his lips and the dip on his lower cheek and the softness in his eyes and the way he turns away or bows his head to hide it. Even the way he'd play it off is quite endearing, a term you never thought you'd use to describe him. It makes you wonder if people had tried to get to know him, maybe knock on the door and wait around to see if he'd come out and let them in.

But all that has brought you to right now - Sunday night as you think about seeing him the next morning. You think back to all the times that you'd entered his penthouse and saw him in his gym attire post-workout, the seconds you'd spent so close to him as you adjusted his necktie, and the breakfasts and car rides you'd shared. You recall the nods of acknowledgement after serving him his coffee, the times he'd agreed with your recommendations, and the instances he'd turned to you for support and his look of thanks after you've given it.

Then there's the grazing of your fingertips, the brushing of arms, the interlocking of eyes.

And your heart, beating a little too fast then.

You groan to yourself. You really have to find a way for this to stop.

**